Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Five week old gerbil photos

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Mortuus47 
#1 ·
Just took these last night and thought I'd share. :)

They don't have names yet because I'm having trouble sexing them. Anyone want to guess from the photos? :p

See less See more
#7 ·
Padfoot said:
How cute!!! (I think you meant the guessing part to be a joke, right? judging by the tongue smilie... hehe.. cause I laughed... hehe)
Exactly. :p

I would like to get photos for you guys to help me sex them except I find most of the battle is holding them in a way where I can see the relevant parts anyway. They're quite small and fiddly and I'm a bit worried that I might damage them if I force them about.

#9 ·
Hahaha... Luciana is asking about the color. I thought they were golden agouti cause I remember seeing another pic of them. Golden agouti are brown with black ticking and black eyes. Grey agouti are grey with darked tricking and black eyes. REW/PEW = Ruby Eyed White/Pink Eyed White. They both look very similar, I think there's a difference in the eye, but I've never found good info about it. They are genetically different, though, that's why they separate the names. They are basically white with red eyes.
About the sexing... do you have a transparent bowl? Maybe you can put them there and let them walk, and look underneath. I've seen mice people doing it and it works... I've never seen it or tried it with gerbs, but it might work.

#10 ·
Padfoot said:
Hahaha... Luciana is asking about the color. I thought they were golden agouti cause I remember seeing another pic of them. Golden agouti are brown with black ticking and black eyes. Grey agouti are grey with darked tricking and black eyes. REW/PEW = Ruby Eyed White/Pink Eyed White. They both look very similar, I think there's a difference in the eye, but I've never found good info about it. They are genetically different, though, that's why they separate the names. They are basically white with red eyes.
About the sexing... do you have a transparent bowl? Maybe you can put them there and let them walk, and look underneath. I've seen mice people doing it and it works... I've never seen it or tried it with gerbs, but it might work.
he looks like a grey agouti on this pic... maybe is just the light...

#13 ·
I kinda thought the first one was a siamese... but it coudl just be the lighting.

I like sexing them at 10 days with the nipple meathod (so much easier) I'm sure 'someone' will have a picture of male and female genitalia for you.
They are very cute babies :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.