Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Bad news for Gordy and I

Tags
guinea pig
6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  I love rats 
#1 ·
I took Gordy to the vet today b/c she has been losing weight. Found out that she has a tumor on her liver. Also found out that the vet who trimmed her teeth, cracked one of them and now it's infected.

#5 ·
They said that they can operate, but b/c she's over 4 years old and the tumor is so large, it probably wouldn't do any good and there's an 85-90% chance that she wouldn't even make it through the surgery. The vet said that she can live anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. So...she'll get lots of treats and love and special attention until then.

#7 ·
I'm not feeling very strong about this to begin with...lol... The vet told me to give her vegetable/fruit-based baby food and something called Nutri-cal for extra nourishment and energy. He said she's going to need it. He said even if it's something with quite a bit of sugar in it, it will be okay one syringe, three times a day b/c she's going to be feeling drained- which she has been for a couple of weeks. He also is ordering me some Critical Care which should be here sometime next week. He said that if she looks like she's in pain, but is still eating fine, he can give her some pain medicine, but that once she stops eating... I know this might sound a bit morbid right now, but how do you go about getting pets cremated?

#8 ·
aaaaawwwww i'm so so sorry, i hope the time she has left is full of love and that when the time comes she goes peacefully surrounded by the people who love her :hugg2:

As for your question on cremation, I assume it will be the same as over here in the UK and that your vet will be able to sort it out for you!

#11 ·
Yeah, they should have to pay for it... I took her to a different vet this time. He didn't feel it neccessary to put her on an antibiotic for her tooth... He told me why, but he told me after the other news so it didn't register. I contacted a place across the bridge into Indiana and they do cremation. They have some really nice urns. I wanted to get one with a guinea pig on it, but I can't find one. I found one for a ferret, rattlesnake, rabbit and squirrel.... It seems weird that they have one for a rattlesnake, but not a guinea pig... I also found one that they can use a laser to put your pet's picture on a wooden urn, and then you get a little brass nameplate... It's like $100 though, so we'll have to see. I can see it now... a little shrine to Gordy... lol

#12 ·
Am so sorry for you..... don't know what else to say. I tend to go with the 'when they stop eating' philosophy in making my decisions, depending on the circumstances. The Nutri-cal is very good for building animals up, from all I've read / heard about it.

{{{hugs}}} and scritches to Gordy. xx

#13 ·
I bought a pound of Critical Care for her b/c I've used it in the past and know that she likes it and it seems to work well. I figured it would be good to have around even after she's gone b/c I have two hamsters and a mouse that are older and may need it in the near future. Wonder what the shelf life is for Critical Care?

#14 ·
Years ago, when my dog began to show signs of age, I had a conversation with a stranger in a supermarket that helped me when the time came to make a decision. It was many years later (since he was 18 when he died). I always thought I would never have him put to sleep, but had no choice in the end. I'll never forget what the nice lady said. I asked her how do you know when the time is right? She said you'll know when the time comes because your pet will let you know when they've had enough. Without going into all the details, in the end I had no other choice. He was ready & I had to be ready to help him. There was no doubt, as it was obvious he was suffering and even more obvious he had given up. We had wonderful moments till the end. And I was able to have a birthday party for him so everyone was able to say goodbye. What a send off!

So far, that was the only time I had to make that decision. Hang in there & make every moment count. Hugs to you & to Gordy!

#17 ·
No, she's still alive. She's starting to lose weight again and the vet gave her some pain medication. She's doing okay with the medicine. Seems a little happier.

#19 ·
I know this sounds bad, but I wish she'd just hurry up. I hate seeing her like this. I hope she just goes in her sleep so I don't have to make a decision. Unfortunately that hasn't worked before with any of my other pets who had cancer...

#20 ·
I know how you feel, when my old dog had cancer he was crying with pain everyday and we were hoping his pain would go away somehow. In the end he had to be euthanised because he started heavily bleeding from the mouth. It was awful. I hope your dog has a peaceful ending to life, when ever it will be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.