Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

kongs

18K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  hikariu 
#1 ·
i'm acully surpirsed this isn't up here but i would stongly suggest any Kong toy for a chewer they are hard to brake and you can put food in them for something for the dog to do.

#2 ·
Altho I do not have a dog right now,I do alot of fostering and agree...the kong is a greyt toy,chew item and distraction for if you have to go out.You can put peanut butter in them or they have "kong fillers" in the stores.

#5 ·
I always avoided them, because Ein would never play with anything he couldn't destroy. I am thinking about getting one for Tucker, though, now that I have tried giving him less expensive rubber toys. He seems to like chewing on those, so I think he may like the kong. I hear such wonderful things about them.

#6 ·
I love Kongs :D. Or rather, my dogs love them :lol:.

Plus they're pretty durable. Rocky has managed to chew apart one of them but it was the goodie ship which is kinda flimsy.

#7 ·
I want to get some for my dogs, but we just can't afford it right now, but as soon as we can we want to get them...I think it would keep them quiter when they have to be crated...and my big guy would have something besides my garbage to attack when we leave lol

#9 ·
both the Pit Bulls i have owned Love thier Kongs they are also a toy that all the shelter dogs are allowed to have because we don't have to worry about them chokeing on anything when we aren't there.

#11 ·
coco, before i even filled her kong w/ goodies, loved to play with it...but then again...she thinks EVERYTHING is her toy...and has even started bringing her toys...toys... lol

anyways.... dog.com has them pretty reasonable...and the stuffing for 'em are like only 3 something...which is the cheapest ive found them!

coco LOVES 'em and i dont feel too bad now leaving her crated for a few hours w/ one of 'em filled!

i read about so many wonderful stuff you can put in there, and can even freeze 'em to make the goodies last!

#13 ·
I don't understand. People talk about the Kongs like they are a Godsend, but my Dane could care less. She licks the stuff for a minute, then gives up, and won't touch it until I put more stuff right on the edge...where she'll lick it off, and then be done with it again. She doesn't care to get anything OUT of it. :/

#15 ·
I have the same "problem" with Pongo my Dashhound mix, He chews through toys in minutes if even that!! So i'm looking around form something he can't kill as quickly lol. Rop Tug-a-war toys seem to be lasting though.

#16 ·
My parents doggie likes them ok if they have treats in them, but if they don't then she couldn't care less for it. She would like anything that had food in it though, lol.

But I also wanted to say, if you have a bunny, they have something similar to a kong - the one I have is made of wood and shaped like a little orange. I just put a piece of fruit inside and Zeus goes nuts trying to get it out, it's so funny! And since they are made of wood, it's good for their teeth to chew on it.

#20 ·
I saw a very interesting dog toy at the store where half of the toy is rubber and then you can freeze the other half so that it is like an ice cube. I don't have a dog right now, so I am not sure how it works, but if i had a dog then I would have that toy. :) It is called a deep freeze arctic treat.

#23 ·
Its very good to fill them with kibble and then cover the end with peanut butter and then freeze because then it will keep your dog busy for a long time to try to get the frozen peanut butter off :)

#25 ·
Kongs - recipes

We use Kongs - we found many recipe ideas to stuff them.
Just do a search on Kongs and recipes...
All kinds of great ideas

#26 ·
We fill one Kong per day with NuVET and cream cheese

FRozen kongs - sooooo goooood!

We fill our Kong with semi frozen cream cheese and 1 NuVET wafer vitamin.
Or, you can do a mix of 1 teaspoon peanut butter and a few tablespoons of van yogurt & the NuVET wafer.

Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
YUM YUM good for them.
and it makes them Work!

for the nuvet - see here:
http://www.nuvet.com/81098
or
http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.