Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Greenies?

14K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  PitsBestFriend 
#1 ·
Does anyone give there dogs greenies? Do they actually do any good to help clean there teeth?

You can sign up to get a free sample on there website Greenies.com - Spread the Word

#3 ·
I used to get them for the rats to chew,but heard that they are actually not the best,because little pieces can get lodged in pet's throats.

#4 ·
My pets @ home LOVE :heart: them! They get them as an occasional treat (our vet actually recommended them to us...and now the pets are addicted! :p )

#5 ·
I don't give them to the dogs because I worry about choking/blockages. But one of my rabbits likes them a lot (she nibbles on them and doesn't get off pieces) so I give one to her once in a while :).

#15 ·
I didnt know rabbit can have them too! Maybe Smudge will like them... They are my dogs fav treat!

#9 ·
So I guess I can get them again for the rats.I just did some research and your right,the dogs that have choked, was because they swallowed large chunks of the Greenies.

#7 ·
one of my dogs can have them because he actually eats like a civilized being that he is.. our other dog i think swallows them whole so he can attempt to steal the other dogs so he doesn't get them so neither get them.

our one cat LOVES them and the other doesn't care.. lucy will come, sit, speak, fetch, and stand on 2 for them its cute

#10 ·
I ordered the free sample, i dont think any place around here sells them, they sell other kinds of dental chews, but we'll wait for the sample and see if she likes them, I dont think allie will choke on them, she actually usually chews her treats pretty well, but we'll watch her closely, we usually only give her treats if we're sitting on the floor with her.

#12 ·
I have given them to my dog a few times but I stopped because I realized after I gave him one at two seperate times he'd puke it up.

#14 ·
I didn't tell the rats but there was a dog that lived across the street that would run over to my house because he knew I would give him a greenie. He would come over take his greenie then run back to his yard...lol

They are expensive though, like $10 for a bag of 6.

#16 ·
I didn't know that rabbits and rats can have them... I've got a whole bag of them that i bought awhile ago, they are too big for daphne, and way too small for oberon. Maybe I'll try them with the buns and ratties...

#18 · (Edited)
I don't think that the regular greenies do, the smart biscuits do, and the greenies for cats might, but I don't think the regular chews do. I'll read the ingredients first, to be sure.

I just checked, they have natural meat flavoring in them, but no other meat stuff... They kind of smell like chicken though, so I'm not giving them to the buns. The rats like them, though!

#21 ·
Ours just smell minty.

#22 ·
are they bendy? the new ones are flexible, and smell like chicken. the old ones were harder... if they smell like mint, they are probably the older ones, and should be safe for the bunnies...

#23 ·
Well, they DID smell minty. Right after I posted that a smelled them and looked at the ingrediants. They smell a little chicken-ish and they have something like gellatin as one of the first ingredients. Sorry Smudge! NO greenies for you!

#24 ·
The dogs are completely addicted to them. I was happy when they reformulated them because Frank would have a fit if he didn't have one every night. I order them from different websites. What ever site has the best deal. We order 6 large boxes at a time.
I wish they sold the old ones for bunnies! I never thought about giving them a greenie. Oh well.

#25 ·
That would be nice. I know my dog used to have veggie-flavored bone, I forgot what they where called tho.... Dang it!

#26 ·
Problem With New Greenies Formula, And With Dog.com!

I have been a loyal Greenies customer for about two years, starting with the old formula. Not only did my dog hesitate when I gave her the new formula for the first time about a year ago, but also, it is defective ... it goes moldy! I've had this happen with several bags of the new formula. Well before their expiration date, you'll start to find tiny, white, fuzzy mold spots all over them. I've even seen this in the bags of Greenies in pet stores. I keep them in a cool dry place but it doesn't help. So I called dog.com for a refund or exchange or store credit, but DOG.COM DOES NOT STAND BY ITS PRODUCTS! My dog loves Greenies but she does sometimes get a chunk stuck in the side of her teeth and needs help getting it out. Factoring in all of these problems, I am sincerely disappointed. I want Greenies to go back to the old formula!!!

#28 ·
I think you should email directly to greenies.com. You may not get your greenies back but they should send you new ones. I question how they were stored before you got them. I order them in large quantities all the time. We have been using greenies for years. I have never seen the white spots. Often I order the individually wrapped greenies. My husband hates them because Belle freaks out while he is opening them. But I have never had any problems
- other than petvetdirect.com being out of stock!
I have a call into them now. We are dangerously low on greenies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.