Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Why does my dog tilt her head to one side when I'm talking to her?

Tags
dog head talk tilt
7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Purple-Hops 
#1 ·
Is it because she "understands" what I'm say? (I know she doesn't understand english, but yeah.)

Or is it her just responding to the tone of my voice or what?

Do your dogs do the same?

...just a random question.

#2 ·
lots of dogs do it, it looks like they are thinking

Some things they do understand like "wanna go for a walk" head tilt (excited)

and if you say it in a tone of voice and say something else they are head tilt thinking and kinda confused of if they should be excited.

#3 ·
Dogs tilt their head when you talk to them because it helps them to hear clearly. A dog has very mobile ears, with each ear having 15 different muscles that allows them to move in all directions. The movement ability, combined with head tilting allows them to detect and understand sounds no matter where they are coming from.

#4 ·
Is it a Pug? There's your answer! ;-)

The head tilt aka baroo (to CuteOverload fans) is strong with the Pugs. It may have something to do with the fact that when those cute little wrinkled faces do it, they get lots of love and attention...in other words, it's at least partially learned behavior.

Blah, cannot do links yet, but search for "three pug head tilt" on youtube and witness the Pug baroo phenomenon in full force! :)

#6 ·
My dog does and always did it when he heard a sound which seemed to be higher pitched- in my voice especially! I never seen him cock his head at a man's voice except when my bf says words he knows like 'bath' 'walk' 'treat' etc...
** Oh and that 3 pug head thing is SO funny!! It does make them look like their thinking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.