Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Zoo Keeper

Elliriyanna is on a distinguished road

Best flea treatment for young Kitten

I plan to bring home a 6 week old kitten mid june and want everything straightened out first. I have done all the research and most sites say for young kittens use ivory or dawn soap and warm water and a flea comb. Some say a spot on. and I know there are always the dips. Whatever I use needs to kill them immediately and leave no survivors as she is going in the house with two other cats and three hamsters ( all flea free) and I cant risk spreading them to everything.

Also what brand should I look for? I dont want to use spot ons since cats groom each other. Plus I havent found any good ones at decent prices and only 1 tube.
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Have you asked a vet about it? I don't know about kittens, but I know when I first brought my puppy to the vet at 9 weeks the vet sold me flea preventative for him.

I would just go through a vet. The preventatives they sell might be more expensive but from what I've read and my experiences they work much better and are safer than other options. It would be cheaper/less stressful for you in the long run to treat fleas that way than too buy something that doesn't work and risk spreading fleas to your other animals, or worse make your kitten sick.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Zoo Keeper

yeah the vet has an option thats $18 for one month treatment but I dont know if it kills them right away.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Playful Pup

PeanutButterCup is on a distinguished road
A vet can also use a flea spray if they feel it is safe - NOT directly on the kitten - we have, at my clinic, sprayed towels and wrapped kitten body up for a few minutes to kill fleas - combined with the Dawn treatment.....
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Zoo Keeper

so should I ask the vet what they feel the best method is? She needs to be COMPLETELY flea free before coming into our house. We have two cats and three hamsters that can get fleas so I really dont want that to happen

Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
It should. You can ask the vet what kind they use and then research more about it if you're unsure, but normally the preventatives sold by the vet do a good job at killing fleas with one treatment.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Zoo Keeper

Well this is a good vet and my phone has internet if something sounds weird so we should be ok. How long does it take for all of them to die though? I could also comb her ... I'm just REALLY worried about bringing fleas in the house

Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Betta Bomb

Purple-Hops will become famous soon enoughPurple-Hops will become famous soon enough
Vets sell a capsule called Capstar (or capster) which kills every living flea ON the cat and only used effectively with a monthly preventative to keep them from coming back. I would perhaps get some capster for all the cats (if it's safe to be given without the event of fleas)just in case any decide to get smart. Remember though, it's the fleas on the cats which are dangerous but you really have to combine treatment around the house and blankets and furniture and anywhere the cats even walk because the fleas are only ever on the host to obtain blood. They live in carpets and corners and linens to lay their eggs where they are fertilized. Eggs can lay dormant up to 90 days (if I remember correctly) if there is no host. Since you have hosts you have to treat them all in the case of even one flea laying a batch. Don't bother giving anything to the hamsters (fleas will only touch them in a case of extreme infestation).

Sorry for the ramble! A lot of people I talked to in the past assume all the fleas on the host are the only fleas. But case in fact=only fertile female adults are on the host.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Zoo Keeper

We have NO fleas in our house and I cant treat the home she is coming from. I am treating her for ALL fleas and getting them all off her before I take her home

Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
Capstar is great, if she has fleas. kills them in a few hours.

At the shelter we use capstar, and do put frontline on the kittens. I would suggest waiting until she is 8 weeks though if possible
Old 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Zoo Keeper

well I cant leave her there until she is 8 weeks they get put out of the house once they can walk and very bad things happen to them. I can only wait until 5 or 6 ...

I also have this hamster flea and tick spray that works great that would be safe for kittens and kill fleas on contact

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Betta Bomb

Purple-Hops will become famous soon enoughPurple-Hops will become famous soon enough
Um.. How safe is that spray? I would really be careful with that. And if you snatch kitty away from mama before 8 weeks you risk her not learning vital lessons from their mama. If dude keeps his mama cat indoors (like I thought you said) why would be put kittens outside?

No, definitely wouldn't risk that with a kitten. You're bringing her to the vet before you go home though, right? They will treat any fleas on her and give you safe preventative.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Zoo Keeper

Well the kittens are often killed by being run over by cars or the dogs once they can walk he doesnt watch them.

Also Momma cat is Allowed indoors she is an indoor / outdoor cat mostly out. He always puts the kittens out even when its cold usually they cuddle to keep warm so with this being summer he'll prob put them out earlier.

Tags
fleas