Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

View Poll Results: Should she have surgery or wait?
Have surgery now 2 100.00%
Wait until January to see if it heals 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Newborn Pup

lmeijer is on a distinguished road

Cat - Torn ACL in Leg? What should I do?

My cat torn what in humans is considered the ACL in her knee. She has been limping for a month, I took her to the vet the minute it happened and they said to give it a month. Now the surgeon says it is still not well and needs surgery. Surgery consists of putting a band around the knee to keep it in place. The doc noticed my hesitation and said it could wait another month to see if it heals. He said it had not healed like he had hoped in the past month and she had lost some mussle mass. What do you think? Should I wait or go ahead with the surgery? Even with the surgery recovery is only 90%, as of know she lays around a lot, sticks the leg out to the side when she walks and limps. SHe is 12 so I am nervous. He said he was worried she could blow the other knee.

What do you think?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
If she were younger I would tell you to do it now, but since she's older it's a tough call. Is she in pretty good health (besides the leg issue)? I don't know, that's a tough call.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Newborn Pup

Yes she is in pretty good shape otherwise although she is 13 pds and they call her fat at the vet, that is a concern with the weight on her leg.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Herp Nerd

Ravnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of light
At one point its not healing the way your vet would like, and she's at risk for injuring her other knee because she's not using the injured one. On the other side, it is surgery and definitely a risk. Kind of a hard choice, but the risk for further injury seems to be the mitigating factor , to me at least.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Newborn Pup

Her surgery is set for Tuesday thanks for the help!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 AM

catsluvme is on a distinguished road

surgical tech

I worked with an orthopedic surgeon for almost 2 years. Please be sure to have all the pre anesthesia bloodwork done, and say yes to pain management. Do you trust the vet doing the surgery? It's not a simple procedure like a spay or neuter. There are old and new ways of correcting a torn ACL. I would ask how many he or she has done. Just my opinion and you know what they say about that term. There is also a chance of it happening again. This kitty needs to loose some weight if she is indeed 13 lbs. She will most likely come home in a huge bandage type cast which in time she will learn how to maneuver with.

Here is a link to where I used to work. Maybe there are some links from that page, or some helpful information. http://www.vss.org/
Good luck to you both, Denise
Any advise given by me is to the best of my knowledge and is not meant to replace veterinary care. If your pet is ill please take him to the vet ASAP. Don't waste your pets valuable time on the internet. dlwinner@comcast.net
Old 12-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsluvme
I worked with an orthopedic surgeon for almost 2 years. Please be sure to have all the pre anesthesia bloodwork done, and say yes to pain management. Do you trust the vet doing the surgery? It's not a simple procedure like a spay or neuter. There are old and new ways of correcting a torn ACL. I would ask how many he or she has done. Just my opinion and you know what they say about that term. There is also a chance of it happening again. This kitty needs to loose some weight if she is indeed 13 lbs. She will most likely come home in a huge bandage type cast which in time she will learn how to maneuver with.

Here is a link to where I used to work. Maybe there are some links from that page, or some helpful information. http://www.vss.org/
Good luck to you both, Denise

Thanks, I know the guy has done lots of these and surgery is all he does, she is in right now, I am so worried. I know I have to get her weight down.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM

laconvis is on a distinguished road
Smile

My kitty just had this surgery today

I noticed my little one limping last night and just nurtured him through the night. This morning when he was still limping I took him to my vet who refered me to an orthopedic vet to perfrom the surgery.

The doctor called this evening and he came through the surgery great and the outlook is good. 95-100% of normal! I know how hard it is to make this decision but I would rather have my kitty than the money.

He is really a mama's cat. I found him out in our pasture, he was 5 months old and weighed less than 1 pound. I had to fatten him up to get his shots he was so small. We have been unseperaptable since I brought him in from the cold Michigan winter. I found the choice for surgery easy because it will still allow him a long quality life. He is much younger than your cat, 6 years old. The part I am not looking forward to is the 4 months to recoup. He is gonna hate being locked up to keep him from straining himself.

This is expensive surgery and I would find it easy to understand why some would chose not to have it performed.

I don't have any kids so the animals are all my kids. We have 8 cats and 2 horses and I look at their care just like I would if they were real children . Quality of life is important to me. I can't stand to see anything suffer.

While I have had a good experience I know threre are just as many bad ones out there. This is of course just my view of the issues.

I am glad you chose to have the surgery! I hope your little one is doing well with the surgery.