Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Title Spy

DorkyChantelle is on a distinguished road

Cats and coffee

Does anyone else's cat go absolutely nuts trying to get coffee? I know that caffeine is poisonous to cats so I don't let him have any but he sure is persistent. He recognizes the Tim Horton's cups and he'll actually reach out and grab it out of your hand and pull it over to him. Every now and then he'll get a few licks off the rim (barely a drop of coffee but he still gets a bit of the taste) and that makes him want it more. Two of my family members drink coffee like it's going out of style so there's always coffee lying around (usually in a covered Tim Horton's cup). I try to be as diligent as possible but like I said, he sometimes licks the rim a few times before anyone notices. My question is, should I be worried? What amount of caffeine is problematic or lethal? I know he's not ingesting any substantial amount but he's ALWAYS on the prowl for coffee. Also, is there a reason he's doing this or is he just being weird? Haha, maybe we should get him some counseling for this suicidal tendencies Just kidding. I'm not extremely worried at this point but any insight would be appreciated! Thanks.

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

HappyDancer has a spectacular aura aboutHappyDancer has a spectacular aura about
my cat doesn't like the flavor but loves the smell lol, she sits in front of Kens cup (I don't drink coffee) and sniffs it forever lol she tasted it once and she gaged lol so she never did it again, but like I said she is all over sniffinf it and purring lol

Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
Oh my goodness, how weird!! We don't drink coffee, so I really am not much help but I wonder why he does that? I'm also not sure on what amounts of caffiene would be bad either, honestly. Got me stumped with this one, lol! I wouldn't think a drop on the side of the cup would hurt him, but you can never be too careful. It sounds like you are being really cautious as it is so that's good.
Hopefully someone else will have some more insight on this one... Hmmm..

Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

kfielder is on a distinguished road
I didn't know caffeine was bad for them. Is it bad for all animals, or just cats?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Title Spy

DorkyChantelle is on a distinguished road
I think it's also dangerous to dogs and birds but I'm really not 100% sure. I just know it's not good for most household pets but other than that, I'm not sure!

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Part of the Pack

SwC is on a distinguished road
This link gives a good description of what is toxic levels. It's related to birds but gives more info really in relation to dogs and cats.

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/caffeine.htm

It would seem that only a drop here and there would cause no ill effects unless your kitty decides to really lap up a good strong amount of it in excess. I would still express caution if he seems to have that strong of a like for it though, but just a drop here and there I wouldnt be too awfully worried. Could be worse I have to hide the "bleach" around here or if any on my hands from dishes or laundry mine attempts to devour my hands. Particularly if using for floors. He'll actually try to lick the floor to get it. I have to lock him up till it drys.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

kfielder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwC
This link gives a good description of what is toxic levels. It's related to birds but gives more info really in relation to dogs and cats.

Thanks for this information. I knew about chocolate, but I never knew it was the caffiene. Good to know!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Part of the Pack

Here is an excellent list of what to not give a kitty and the effects if they should get into something accidentally. http://maxshouse.com/Drugs_To_Avoid_in_Cats.html
It's unlikely any of us would give these type medications but on occasion I know my mother has dropped a tylenol or aspirin and was unable to find it so the search is usually on. I have prairie dogs in addition to my kittys which all of them have free roaming in the household so I have to be extremely careful of anything that is accidentally dropped and not picked up or found immediately.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Adolescent Pup

Darko is on a distinguished road
We used to have a cat that would drink tea and coffee. you couldnt leave mug unattended....

If i have a mug of Tea and smudge is passing, she'll stop and try bury the Mug.

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the **** alone.

It's great to get back to nature. But instead of taking off all you clothes and running down the high street, why not 'become' a fruit? To achieve this, put some weird floaty music on, lie down, relax and say to yourself, "I am an apple. I am an apple. I can feel the wind brush against me as I hang in the tree." In no time at all you'll find that the worries of the day will melt away, and your only concern will be whether you're about to be turned into a pie.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

sara8 is on a distinguished road
we are not coffee drinkers either so i am not sure. it makes sense that caffeine isn't good for them though.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Newborn Pup

jayates1 is on a distinguished road
caffeine kills dogs chocolate is ok but its really the caffeine in the chocolate that kills them i beliebe cats are the same way
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Part of the Pack

Never never give a dog chocolate as it's not just the caffiene it's primarily theobromine which is much more toxic than caffiene. This is also for cats jayates1. Theobromine is the primary alkoloid in chocolate, more so then caffiene.

Tags
prairie dog, prairie dogs