Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 10-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Keritsubo will become famous soon enough

Fur pulling problem...

All right, I have a 9 year old cat of whom I took with me to live at my aunt's where I reside currently. She was fine at first... kinda pissed because I brought her to a home that already had a dominate female. She proceeded to announce herself as queen of my bedroom and defends her kingdom, of course...

However, I decided to leave her with my aunt while I took a week in Florida. Shortly after my return she started pulling her fur out and I was told in my absence she seemed 'lost' and rather sad. I have since been taking her home to my parents' place (the place she called home for 8 years) when I travel. She seems much happier with that but has not stopped pulling her fur out. She keeps the spots she'd pulled still short but hasn't pulled much else out otherwise. She was put on anti-anxiety medicine for a bit which didn't help at all so weened her off the first bottle we were given.

She gets more attention than ever, is more spoiled than ever... and really doesn't seem that stressed except of course when I leave her with my parents but she's doing much better there than if I left her here with my aunt. Sometimes I wonder if she misses my boyfriend as much as I do. When he is here she absolutely adores him it seems but he's only up to visit for a weekend every few months.

So... any suggestions on how I could get her to stop pulling her fur out?

, [username] . are you new member? have questions?
Feel free to PM or IM me. Contacts are my profile.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Have you looked into a natural stress relief such as Rescue Remedy? I'm afraid I don't know much about cats but I doubt it would hurt to try.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
Oh wow... I have never seen that. I'm sorry your kitty is doing this. I've heard great things about the Rescue Remedy, too.

I did a little reseach.. Has your vet mentioned maybe a skin allergy and/or problem? Or is there a chance she has fleas? I found this link that looks to be helpful..

http://www.vetinfo.com/cathair.html

The second question down a lady seemed to be having a similar issue..

Or I wonder if it's an obsessive compulsive disorder? I found this link, too.

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...&story_no=1547

I hope that helps a little.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Keritsubo will become famous soon enough
Thanks for those articles. my vet told me it was probably an anxiety thing. I had her checked over and she's perfectly healthy. No skin problems, no fleas... right now its just like she's keeping the fur 'trimmed'. I don't catch her pulling it out technically. She's a long hair so the shorter spots are obvious. Really all I see is her cleaning noisily but not pulling stuff or anything.

, [username] . are you new member? have questions?
Feel free to PM or IM me. Contacts are my profile.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

DirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of lightDirtySouthChins is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like anxiety to me....She sounds as though something is troubling her, cats definitely don't adjust to change well and tend to take longer to adjust to new environments, etc.... I have heard great things about rescue remedy....I hope all works out for both you and your kitty....Hang in There!!!

Dirty South Chinchillas
MCBA Member
Breeder Info-Links
Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!