Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Blacksheep is on a distinguished road
Question

How to tell if a cat is "special needs"

I'm fostering a litter consisting of two girls and two boys. Our black girl (Oliver) is clearly the runt. Physically she is half the size of everyone else. They are supposed to be leaving me next week (to be sterilized and put up for adoption) but I don't think she will weigh enough then. I can gladly foster her till she is up to weight but not sure if I would...because husband is hinting at keeping this "awww so cute" kitten and I'm not sure her personality would really fit.

Anyway, Oliver seems to be a little off. She doesn't play with the other kittens except for her sister (Torti) and only usually for a couple of minutes. She also won't play with toys...ever. Oh and she uses the box...sometimes. She seems to ignore it when its clean and when its dirty so I leave one box with some stuff in it. She also never cleans herself? I don't mean to sound mean but its like she is missing some of the mental aspects that makes cats so...cat like. She also seems to have some trouble running. Vet says shes physically fine so I'm wondering if maybe theres something wrong mentally.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 AM
It's all for them

somebody is on a distinguished road
It's quite possible for her to be lacking in certain ways. Perhaps she went without oxygen a bit too long during the birth. And/or did not get enough to eat in those first crucial days, because of her disabilities.

She will need a very special human, is all. The rescue should make sure that any potential adopters understand that this little girl has special needs. It would be awful for her to be adopted by the wrong person and pitched out on the street because she sometimes forgets to use the litter box.

If your husband wants to adopt her.........maybe she's already found her forever home? You wouldn't be the first with a 'failed foster'
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Blacksheep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
If your husband wants to adopt her.........maybe she's already found her forever home? You wouldn't be the first with a 'failed foster'

I woke up this morning and it looks like she somehow got herself severely injured...not sure how but she was rushed back to the shelter today. They took everyone else. Not sure if this DQs me as a foster but we were considering it
Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 AM
It's all for them

somebody is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry to see this. Any update? Will you still consider adopting the little one, even if you don't continue to foster?