Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Casp3r is on a distinguished road

My cat is hostile to the other cat SUDDENLY!

Hi there,
I have two cats. Newton - 4 years old and Vinnie, 6 months old.

I have Newton for about a year - Got from a shelter. He's an amazing cat, very beautiful and great personality, he is also usually quite friendly. The other one, Vinnie is 6 months old, his mother used to live in my street and she gave birth right on my porch so I've adopted him (and found a home for his 4 other brothers). When I first introduced Vinnie to Newton, Vinnie was 2 months old (a neighbor took care of Vinnie and his brothers for two months). It was a rough week. Newton was very depressed, he broke one of my window-blinds and ran away (I don't let my cats outside, I live by a main street and it's very dangerous). By the end of the first week Vinnie and Newton became great friends and they were playing adorably together all day long. I would like to point out that right when they became 'friends' they started using the same litterbox so I got rid of the other litterbox.

The problem started last week. Newton was crying A LOT and I couldn't figure out why. A week before he started crying I took him to the vet for a routine check and he said that beside the fact that he needs to lose some weight he's fine. As the days passed I noticed (me and my girlfriend are not home most of the day) that Newton started being hostile to Vinnie again and he's acting a lot like how he acted back when we brought Vinnie home. He's hissing at his direction (and at the litterbox!) and attacks him whenever he gets to near. Also, Newton is crying to the windows (which are mostly closed because the A\C is on whenever we're home, Israel is a VERY HOT country) and to the door.

I really don't know what to do and it all seems very strange to me. They LOVED each other and now Newton is hostile and crying all the time. Yesterday I thought that Newton might not be passing stool because when I cleaned the litterbox I wasn't noticing a lot of "older cat stools"... So after I have cleaned the litter I tried to pick up Newton and put him in the entry of the (closed) litterbox. He immediately freaked and started hissing and the litterbox and went crying at the windows again. On the other hand, he eats normally (he's a big cat with a big appetite) so I would find it hard to believe that he can hold himself for a week now... I would also like to mention that after he hissed on the litterbox I brought the other litterbox back home (after I cleaned it of course) and he wasn't interested at all.

Help! What can I do? I can't stand seeing him and and hearing Newton crying all the time is bad both for him and us.

Thanks and regards from Israel!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM

MissyShai is on a distinguished road
How many other cats has Newton been introduced to?

One thing i found with dealing with my cats now and in the past, My mom had a hard time getting out older cat to adjust to the newer cats. it was harder for Chicklet (My brothers Ferrel cat) to adjust to Echo annie and my link (i haven't introduced Zelda to my moms cats yet but plan to in the future because of the vast success of links visits. but after a wile, and i mean a long wile) she got over it and just stayed away from them.

Link on the other hand, has lived with other cats coming and going his whole life. even dogs. so when a new cat is introduced, he really doesn't care.

Also dose the older cat have a way of getting away from the kitten? maybe Vinnie has made a point to terrorize Norton wile you are gone due to boredom. as for the litter box thing, you need one litter box per cat. so keeping the second one around will be a good thing just for space reasons.

try not to act too worried about the cat, the more stressed out you are, the cat will pick up on it and he will begin to stress out as well.

i hope this helps. iv had cats my whole life, but im still no expert.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Part of the Pack

tommycat is on a distinguished road
I notice your thread is a few weeks old. Has anything changed since then? The thought came to my mind that since you said you didn't think he was having any bowel movements, maybe he has a blockage? If he's in pain or sick, he certainly could take his frustration out on the other kitty. I hope he's better...please let us know!

Forever in our hearts...Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.
~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

BarkingPup is on a distinguished road
If he's hissing at the litterbox...

Is it in a proper location? Every litterbox should be set up so there are multiple ways of escape. They should be open enough that a cat can tell when the troublemaker is approaching. If you have a litterbox in a room with only one door, putting a cat tree is a good way for cats to escape.

You NEED one litterbox per cat at LEAST. If one cat is dominant it could block the other cat from going to the bathroom or attacking the other cat whenever it's using the box.

Cats use pee and feces to mark territories so if you have two using the same litterbox, Newton may be feeling threatened by another cats scent. Have you noticed Vinnie lounging by any doorways, facing inside the room? If he does, then is Newton as far away from the doorway as possible? If so, Vinnie is being a controlling dominant and preventing Newton from escaping the environment. Which is a problem if the litterbox is in that room. (Or vice-versa)

Do they both have access to windows? Patio? Fenced yard? If one cat saw/smelled an intruder they could redirect their aggression towards the other household cat. If it happened at the litterbox, Newton could be scared of it. Even if he was the attacking cat he could feel it's a bad place.

Another possibility is, since Vinnie's six months, Vinnie is growing into a contender for the dominant cat in the house. Newton could feel threatened by this and may be attacking him due to his uncertainty. Having another cats scent in the litterbox could be a sign, to Newton, that Vinnie is taking over his territory. Putting up more cat trees, shelves, scratching posts, and litterboxes may relieve the tension a bit. If possible, and if you feel Vinnie is not safe, separate the two cats and reintroduce Vinnie but this time with two litterboxes and a bunch of places for the cats to escape to if they feel threatened.

Um... I think that's about the only advice I can give you...
Old 09-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wishbone is on a distinguished road
Too sad to hear that, maybe you should separate them first, leave one in a room. Keep them separated for few days or a week and then see how it would when they meet again, make sure the environment is neutral for both of them.

Visit - My Photos - for fun and tips for pets!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
my guess the younger kitten is getting to the age that it is no longer cute to other cats and your other cat is beginning to put it in its place

Tags
cat crying