Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

My cats won't stop fighting....

Tags
fur babies
18K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MaiasmomJK 
#1 ·
I have two cats that I've had for 9 years - brother and Sister (Pebbles and Bam-Bam); I've had them since babies and all of a sudden (in November) they started fighting horribly....I have to keep them separated now and I don't know if there is anything I can do to fix this problem. They are both spayed and neutered, I've tried the plug in pharomones (sp?), I've tried the 'Calming cat bath wipes' I've tried the calming drops you put in their water/food; nothing works.
I think that Bam-Bam was getting too aggressive (about 6 months ago, he started aggressively mounting her and continued to do that) and I think Pebbles got fed up, now she hisses if she sees him and that eggs Bam-Bam on, so he taunts her....if they get near each other w/out being separated by a crate or anything; I tried putting them both in crates side by side to see if they could get used to each other again and they hiss-growl, etc- if one accidentally gets out to where the other is, they go to tear each other up; I don't know what to do; I've had to keep one locked up in a room and switch them out every few hours...it gets old real fast. Plus, I feel horrible keeping them locked up in a room even if I do take turns......
PLease if someone knows what I can do - I would really appreciate it!

#2 ·
I have never had a problem so bad with my kitties. I have had them fight but they sound really bad!
I did give my cousin one of my cats (when I was living with my dad) because he was always getting into fights with the other cats. He would get into his own fights and also get into fights defending his sister from his litter. And then his sister would just be so frightened she would hit him as well. It was a mess so when my cousin wanted a sweet loving cat (which he was) we did what was best for Danny and gave him to her. He was much happier. She only had one cat that completely kept to herself.
Maybe you can ask your vet?

#3 ·
Thanks for your Response!!!

Hi,
Thanks for your reply; I actually have asked my vet and every other vet I've come across, no one seems to know why; I hate to give him up b/c I've had him for so long and I'm all he knows - I just keep hoping that it'll stop soon, but I don't know that it will. I read on the internet somewhere that there is a tension that cats get - different types and I think his is the sexual temperment - I think he tried one too many times and she got fed up; but nothing is getting them back to being brother and sister again....It said to 're-introduce them' and that it could take time, but they won't even let me do that....ANyway, Thank you for your help - I'll keep you posted.

#4 ·
I had 2 sisters and they were best friends til they got around 6 years old...we seperated them and tried everything as well...the vet told us to let them work it out...that when the fight got bad have a spray bottle handy to break it up (I was so scratched up from triing to pull them apart with my hands lol) after like 4 weeks of tight tension and fighting all the time, it just stopped...I hope yours get over it as well, its so hard to see your fur babies fighting, scarry to....good luck :)

#5 ·
Thank you, I will try that...

I'm a little nervous about it but I am willing to try anything; I wish they would just get over this....
Thanks for responding; I hope that it'll work; I even thought about taking them both to the vets and have them keep them in a kennel side by side for a day or two; as long as it was overnight; and maybe they would hate it so much there, that when they got home they would just be happy to be home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.