Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Need Advice: Introducing 2 Adult Cats!

4K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  tommycat 
#1 ·
I know there is much information out there on this subject but like most others I feel my scenario is a bit different and needs a more detailed explanation.

A while back my girlfriend purchased a cat for me, there were two kittens that were said to be twins, she kept the female(Jewel) I kept the male(Sabre). Now after going on 4 years, she has moved in with me and brought her cat. We set up separate water, food, and a litter box.

One day we were eating and didn't realize that we left the door open. Sabre went in and shortly after we heard hissing and growling(normal I'm sure) Jewel was hissing a lot and scratching at Sabre with her paws, and Sabre was just I guess you can call it howling it was a loud meowing no hissing at all or growling. After we got him out she would stay hidden for a while but she has seemed to calm down and occasionally hisses towards the door and sometimes just randomly when walking around.

My question I guess is does this change anything? Its said that the cat that is already established will usually hiss and growl but it seems Sabre just looks towards the door never hisses never growls.

You all think today when I get home I should put Sabre in an isolated room and let Jewel wander into the living room? Earlier today every time I opened the door she was peeking out and would run up to the doorway but I didn't want her to get out. What do you all think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Introducing cats can be very difficult! We usually keep the newcomer in a small room for a day or two, then switch places so the other(s) can sniff his stuff. There's almost always alot of hissing/swatting going on and that's normal. They should adjust in a week or so. However--we have a problem that has never resolved and we have to keep Lucky and Lucy separated at all times!! We took Lucy in as a 6 month stray and Lucky never did have a problem with her until 6 months later. We had moved into a new house and there were lots of strays in our yard. One day while all 3 of them were looking out the patio door and a stray passed by, Lucky went totally berserk on Lucy and chased her all over the house tearing her up when he could catch her. We separated them for a couple days, then re-introduced. A few days later, it happened again. It happened a few more times and we finally just had to give up and put up a screen door separating our house into 2 halves. It's a pain, but we could never give either one of them up so we deal with it. The vet said it was "transferred aggression" and the only possible treatment was to put Lucky on female hormones; which had bad side effects. (We didn't do it) All of our cats are "fixed". I hope you have better luck (and probably will as I think our case is rare) but I wouldn't leave them unattended together until you're sure. Hissing and growling is normal, but tearing each other to bloody shreds is NOT! Let us know how it goes!

#3 ·
Thank you for replying to my post. It is comforting to get feedback.

As a small update. Jewel has come out of hiding and walks around the room frequently and is currently sleeping on top of the bed where as she usually sleeps under it or in the closet hiding spot.

She hasn't hissed since this morning. Even ate her dinner on top of a cloth with his scent on it. Tomorrow we are going to place her in a the next room while Sabre can come in here and sniff it out. Thanks again for replying, I will update this post tomorrow with what happens! :)

#4 ·
Sounds like Jewel is making progress! All cats are different and sometimes I think all 3 of mine are psychotic! My Tommy (RIP) was so accepting when we adopted Quinnie as a tiny kitten. She even tried to nurse on him (check out my pics of them together--so adorable) But when Lucky came to live with us, Tommy ABSOLUTELY did not accept him and that's the first time we used the dreaded screen door. When Tommy passed away, Quinnie never would accept Lucky and still gets a little hissy if he comes too close. But she also gets hissy with Lucy, so sadly, NONE of them have anything to do with each other! I miss seeing them play and sleep together. Sounds like Sabre is going to be accomodating; Jewel just needs some time to feel secure in her new surroundings! Keep posting!

#5 ·
Yesterday we let her sniff out the living room while placing Sabre in her room, didn't seem to phase him much he sniffed around and just kinda wanted out after a bit. She was scared at first but then started poking around.

Later I placed her in the carrier and then put her down in the living room this time with Sabre out. There was some loud meowing from Sabre and some hissing from Jewel for a little, and one time Jewel backed up really fast with a big hiss, but then noticed it wasn't that big of a threat and calmed down. After about 1 minute Sabre stopped meowing and just lied down next to the carrier about 2 feet away, and Jewel lied down inside the carrier, Occasionally they would glance at one another, and she would hiss maybe 1 time every 40 to 50 seconds. I felt that was great progress and will continue with it today.

One shocker though my girlfriend and I woke up to blood this morning from Jewel, we quickly noticed her mouth was caught inside her collar and she couldnt free herself one of her paws seemed bloody but there was blood on the collar where her mouth was stuck. The blood had stopped at this point. She was very frightened and after we got it off she was hissing a bit for a while, so I said lets ignore her, and we went back to bed. Shortly after she was fine again.

I will keep you updated :)

#6 ·
My very first cat, Mina, (a Siamese) got her jaw stuck in her collar and when we came home, she was hysterically running and growling. Scared us all to death! I've been too afraid to use collars ever since! (and that was 40 years ago when I was 10!) I've heard about having elastic in the collar just in case.

#7 ·
That collar had elastic in it, but still didn't help. I went and bought a new collar this one has a clip that will break off if anything, they tend to come off more often but better that then what we woke up to this morning.

I placed Jewel in the carrier and put her down in the room with Sabre again. She still hisses at him and for a while he was just looking at her, he finally came off the chair he was on and started walking towards her, at that point she let out a hiss and a loud meowing noise, kind of that cliche sound people make when you think of a cat fight. Then she went back to the normal hisses, sometimes they look at one another for a bit and nothing, sometimes she hisses.

That's the update for now

#9 ·
Update: The progression seemed to be at a stand still for a little and my patience was tested. However I bought a slicker brush and combed Sabre with it afterwards I showed the brush to Jewel she sniffed it and started to hiss at it. Then ran under the bed, after about an hour she came out and my girlfriend combed her with the same brush I used on Sabre with the hair still on it, she did not seem to mind. She does not hiss at the brush even when it was freshly used on Sabre. However she is staying under the bed a lot more often now. Not sure what this means, she still hisses at the mere site of Sabre. So not sure when I should prop open the door just enough for them to see and smell one another. I may do that tonight just a little scared. I also place the brush down next to Jewel when she is asleep under the bed, and she just wakes up smells it and goes back to bed, sometimes she will move a bit, but does not growl or hiss, only when she sees him she does. What do you all think?

#10 ·
How is Sabre acting around her now? Is Jewel the only one reacting? If Sabre doesn't show any sign of aggression, I'd probably try them together (supervised, of course). If you isolate Sabre, does Jewel wander the house freely or still act scared and stay in a small area? Quinnie took several weeks to adjust to our move--hiding under the bed, etc. Maybe that's part of Jewel's problem; on top of also coping with another cat! You are showing tremendous patience with the situation! Hope it pays off soon!:luck:

#11 ·
Jewel wanders the house when Sabre is isolated, sometimes she takes a little to want to exit the safe room, but if you pick her up and place her in the living room she will start poking around everywhere, today she even went over to where Sabre was isolated, while I was getting something and pushed the door open, lol.

Sabre doesnt show any signs of aggression around her, I have never heard him hiss or growl. He just stops looks lays down and walks every so slowly closer to her.

Today we let them come close to each other while we watched. Jewel started hissing as Sabre walked slowly closer towards her. He got a little too close for comfort once and Jewel went into a short frenzy she hissed and did that loud cliche meow thing I was saying earlier. Sabre just backed up and sat down. Jewel stayed and would hiss occasionally, Sabre just sat there and even played with me when I would bring him a ball or something, then he would look back at her for a bit. After about 10-15 minutes. Jewel very slowly started to come out of her hiding place and walked very slowly back to the safe room, she turned around 2 times and hissed before leaving the living room completely, Sabre wanted to follow her but I held him down so he could not, I felt it was enough for her to tolerate him that much. How do you think it went?

#12 ·
We have gotten to the point where we have let all doors open, and Sabre wanders in from time to time to greet Jewel, Jewel is still hissing and fussing at Sabre. Sabre just sits there like he doesn't give 2 hecks how much Jewel hisses and fusses with him. Today is the second day we are doing this and she hasn't changed one bit towards him. Hoping she does but it sure doesn't look like it. They do not attack each other which I guess is a good thing. Any suggestions or comments?

#13 ·
It sounds safe to me. Jewel just might be a "hissy" kitty. All my cats have always got along and been buddies until the 3 I have now, and they just refuse to be friends. They tolerate each other (except Lucky & Lucy which will always have to be separated), but that's about it. But it sounds to me like the danger is over. She may eventually play or sleep with him--who knows. As I said before, I miss seeing my cats play and romp with each other and be buddies. Sabre sounds totally cool, tho! Maybe Jewel will come around in time!

#14 ·
Yeah I hope so, just wasn't sure if perhaps this was having a negative effect on Jewel and was going to make her a very angry naughty kitty, I mean when Sabre isn't around she is pretty cool acts like nothing happened. But when he comes around she just hisses and fusses. :( I hope she comes around because these cats are the love of our lives and well neither one is going anywhere so hopefully they realize they are just gonna have to put up with one another.

#15 ·
Hello again. I just wanted to let you know that we took Jewel to the vet yesterday because we felt that she was being a little more aggressive then usual. She wouldn't even want to be held at all. Her eating was also a bit odd, she would eat a little walk away come back later eat a bit more and so on. Well it turned out she has a very rotten tooth. We feel so bad, but at the same time we are happy that we now know what has been giving her problems. She has to go in for surgery to have it removed but we don't have the money to get it down right now :( The Vet gave her a shot for it, and also gave us some medicine. Just wanted to keep you all updated because you have been helping us so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.