Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 10-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

veggiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutveggiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutveggiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Question

Prescription Food

Does anyone here have their kitties on prescription food? As many of you know, Sneakers is recovering from a urinary tract infection. The vet said he should be kept on prescription food for the rest of his life. That means my other two boys will be eating it as well, since I keep a bowl of dry food in the kitchen for them to eat throughout the day. I usually feed them Innova by Natura. Its a very natural food with natural preservatives and no by-products. I bought a bag of prescription c/d by Hill's today at the vet's. Does anyone use this food? I'm concerned about its quality and I'm wondering if there is a more natural alternative?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Old 10-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
Galina was on prescription food (it was Science Diet something for food allergies) and I used to just just one thing of food for both cats, but after that, I had to start feeding them at scheduled times and watch them while they ate to make sure they were eating their food and not the other's.

From my experience, Science Diet does a good job. After the precription food ran out, I bought the store brand and it did just as well.

I don't know of a more natural alternative. I was fairly strict about Galina's prescription food and about her eating it, because it was just too expensive to have to buy two bags for her AND Gerona.

But, all in all, I find the Science Diet prescription to be fairly good. I've even used A/D to help Galina gain weight when she was a baby and wouldn't gain weight with ANYTHING else we gave her.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
Steph we have the hill's prescription food....is it the u/d they put you on? It works quite well as a prescription food. It's a top of the range product in aus which I know is looked down upon in the US but in my opinion, if you are on a prescription food you need to stay on it!!! We are a very natural veterinary clinic (my vet also does homeopathy and acupuncture) and he will tell people to go on a natural diet cause he prefers it but if they need prescription they are to stay on prescription! He's very adamant about that.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

veggiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutveggiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutveggiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Steph we have the hill's prescription food....is it the u/d they put you on? It works quite well as a prescription food. It's a top of the range product in aus which I know is looked down upon in the US but in my opinion, if you are on a prescription food you need to stay on it!!! We are a very natural veterinary clinic (my vet also does homeopathy and acupuncture) and he will tell people to go on a natural diet cause he prefers it but if they need prescription they are to stay on prescription! He's very adamant about that.

Carmen, the one I have is called c/d by Hill's. There is also a u/r by Purina, but they were out of that. My mom's kitty is on u/r, but she has also used c/d. Do you guys have c/d?

Old 10-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
yep we have c/d! I always get mixed up as to which one is which cause the vet is always the one prescribing them!! We haven't had any cat's on it with any problems.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
C/D is very commonly prescribed and most cats do well on it. However, I'm not a fan of the ingredients. You may talk to Wellness or another high quality food maker and see if they have a similar diet. Several on different forums have recommended Wellness wet foods. Wet food is definitely a good thing as it keeps the water intake up. C/D I believe is used to restrict minerals and sodium. Here's a homemade version of c/d: http://www.holisticat.com/rxdiets.html#c/d
I'm at work but will do more research on alternative Rx diets.

Some more links for you:
http://www.petdiabetes.org/hills_feline_rx.htm
Old 10-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
C/D is very commonly prescribed and most cats do well on it. However, I'm not a fan of the ingredients. You may talk to Wellness or another high quality food maker and see if they have a similar diet. Several on different forums have recommended Wellness wet foods. Wet food is definitely a good thing as it keeps the water intake up. C/D I believe is used to restrict minerals and sodium. Here's a homemade version of c/d: http://www.holisticat.com/rxdiets.html#c/d
I'm at work but will do more research on alternative Rx diets.

Thanks Jade. I have tried Wellness wet food and the kitties weren't too fond of it. They will eat the dry but they aren't thrilled with it. I'm not too happy about C/D's ingredients either. The lady that I buy Oxbow products from also sells many of the natural brands of cat and dog food (Wellness, Innova...) so I am going to talk to her and compare ingredients and mineral content. I really prefer a food that has natural preservatives and no by-products. C/D has by-products in it. I compared labels with the Innova and C/D, and Innova actually has less ash than C/D. And it has only 2% more magnesium than C/D. I would really like to stay with the Innova if possible but I will switch if its causing the problem. I don't see why it would though. I noticed that C/D has only 10% taurine in it and Innova has 30%.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:34 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Crazy Chin Lady has a spectacular aura aboutCrazy Chin Lady has a spectacular aura aboutCrazy Chin Lady has a spectacular aura about
Steph, here's a link to a food that's comparable to Hills C/D. It's made by Triumph and is called "Hi-Tor."

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...5Fid=233&Page=

[
Old 10-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

see there you go Steph!! We don't have any alternatives here in aus...ALL of our commercial pet foods contain animal by-products. I don't like them either. It's why biscuit is on the BARF diet!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Eli will become famous soon enough
well my friend has hills, and they used to try to keep it only for christel their cat with problems, but Ashley, eats it too, so they gave up. She asked the vet about it, and he said it was fine........

Tags
barf diet, dog food, dry food, pet food, pet foods, urinary tract infection, wet food