Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Playful Pup

breyann is on a distinguished road

why does my cat keep throwing up????

hello well it is me breyann my cat keeps throwing up her food like 2 days ago i found throw up on the floor. then this morning i found puke in her little cat house. then after i got home from a party i found puke in the back room. I am not sure why she keeps throwing up. i usually give her 3 treats a day but today i gave her 2 to see if she would stop. in her throw up i see only her food and not anything else that she can be getting into can someone help me thanks

breyann
Old 08-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
Does the vomit look like her cat food, still in peices?
Are these 'hair balls'?

If your cat is vomiting more then a couple times in a few days, it may be best to take her to a vet.
Now with that said, if the vomit looks like food, still in kibble form, your cat may just have a sensitive stomach and be eating to fast. This is very common in persian cats, who produce more stomach acid then most cats, and when they eat fast the food dosn't get a chance to digest it hits the stomach full with acid and pop's right back out.
This can be stopped by changing his/her food. Royal Canine has a 'sensitive' formula just for this, I have used it and it works great. Their persian formula works the same way.

Now if this isn't the case at all, I would make an appointment to see your Vet and bring up these concers. Your cat could have gotten into something, have an allergic reaction, anything.
My neighbours cat ate slug bait and though she looked/acted fine, she vomited alot, and only the Vet was able to help the poor kitty. Who is fine now.

Good Luck.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

ArcadiaReptiles is on a distinguished road
There are a couple of things that could induce vomit. Changing her food suddenly, parasites of some sort, hair balls and a couple of other things. id have a fecal done and have her brought to the vet like andrea said. Just in case its something serious. Puking and diarhea is serious because the longer they do it the more dehydrated they become.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

LuvMeTrue will become famous soon enough
i noticed that my cats were throwing up alot but after looking at it i noticed that it was hair balls that they had to bring up just after eating. it seems like that is the way they have been bringing up their hair balls but since i bought laxatone the hair balls and throwing up has stopped. but like the others are saying if u can't tell if it is hair balls or not get the cat to teh vet only they can tell you what is truly wrong with your baby. I will be bringing mine if the problem continues but it seems to have stopped now so i just want to wait and see if the problem has been remedied.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Playful Pup

breyann is on a distinguished road

Thanks

I have been doing my own little doctoring of things to her. first of all I have not been giving her treats everyday and i have stopped feeding her meat from the table. I gave her a little just 2 seconds ago and she seems to be fine and she hasnt threw up sence then, however she did spit up a hair ball the day after but nothing major. Well thanks for all of your help i knew that it wasnt a hair ball and i knew it was food so shes fine now thanks everyone

brey
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Missha4 is on a distinguished road
Dear all I have a semi-persian cat who has been vomiting occassionally these past months. Lately, she started vomiting like daily. I have not changed her food. I give her Royal Canine for Adult Cat Persians. The vomit is thick and yellow and does not contain any hair balls...please help!!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wishbone is on a distinguished road
Good to hear there's nothing more serious about him Breyann.

MIssha4 did you brought him already to a vet?

Visit - My Photos - for fun and tips for pets!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 AM

jennifershaye is on a distinguished road
my cat has been throwing up too! it scares me in the middle of the night because he makes this awful loud gagging noise! i even switched cat food brands but hes still doing it. me and my boyfriend dont know what to do since we dont have alot of money to take him to the vet. and he only throws up at night.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 AM

AprilMayFargo is on a distinguished road
yeah our cat throws up occasionally too - I dont know what her deal is - its not very often not every day or anything but its not a pleasant suprise in the morning to find a pile of puke on the floor that is for sure - I have another question - why is it that cats NEVER seem to throw up on the easy to clean linoleum floor - it is ALWAYS on the plush carpet - it can be literally 1/2 a foot away from hardwood or linoleum floor - everytime - lol what is UP with that! lol
Old 12-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
lol i donno our cat always pukes on carpet too.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
If your cat is routinely throwing up, please seek veterinary care. It is an early warning sign of many things, including kidney disease (which our cat has). Because we caught it early, our cat has been moved to a prescription diet and is still with us years later. Untreated, he would probably be dead now!

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM

mmcdonald2k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by breyann View Post
hello well it is me breyann my cat keeps throwing up her food like 2 days ago i found throw up on the floor. then this morning i found puke in her little cat house. then after i got home from a party i found puke in the back room. I am not sure why she keeps throwing up. i usually give her 3 treats a day but today i gave her 2 to see if she would stop. in her throw up i see only her food and not anything else that she can be getting into can someone help me thanks

breyann

Furball maybe???
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Hello Earthling

canadiancritter will become famous soon enough
Old thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM

Butterfly_Wings is on a distinguished road
My cat Sebastian does the same thing. Not every time he eats, but often enough. He has been the vet about it and they have found nothing wrong. He just eats WAAAAY too fast and sometimes his stomach can't take it.

I did not know there were foods for cats with sensitive stomachs though

I will have to look in to that!
Sebastian Boy
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
It's all for them

somebody is on a distinguished road
As Jennicat has said if your cat is throwing up frequently, the cat needs to see the vet. Especially if you are seeing yellow bile, not just regurgitated food.

If your cat is simply doing a scarf and barf, feed smaller meals, more often.

If your cat is having trouble with hair balls; daily grooming and a regular regimen (no more than twice a week) with hair ball remedy can control that problem.

Frequent vomiting is bad for kitty's teeth, the acid from stomach bile eats away at the teeth.

Vomiting is different from regurgitation.

Regurgitation is what comes up right after eating. Usually it is a "tube" shape, with is just the shape of kitty's esophagus, and the food is not at all digested. This can be from scarf and barf, hair ball trouble or a more serious blockage problem (hair balls can also cause blockages). If it happens every time the cat eats, veterinary attention is needed.

Vomiting, the food will be at least partially digested, and there will be more liquid in the vomit. Vomiting when there is no food at all, and is yellow and foamy, or blood, is a situation where vet attention is needed fairly quickly.

Sometimes hair balls can cause vomiting, even if you see no hair, or only a small amount. It can mean that the hair ball is lodged somewhere, and the cat cannot get it up, or pass it, with out some help. Again, veterinary attention may be required.

Tags
cat food, poor kitty, royal canin