Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Dogs and Cats > Cats

Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

Old 01-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Playful Pup

reeB_relliM is on a distinguished road

Why is my cat being mean, ..biting, scratching.

I really dunno what to say, I'm kinda lost for words. About a week ago, I'd taken my cat back to the local vet's office. It was a long day for the poor cat, however, while he was there, all of the following things were taken care of that day:

1) Pre-Anesthetic Profile (anesthesia testing prior to surgery)
2) Tested for FIV and Leukemia
3) Adult feline FVRCP-Chlamydia
4) 1st Feline Leukemia vaccine
5) 1 yr Feline Rabies Vaccine
6) Feline Neuter w/ Anesthesia/ Hospital
7) Courtesy nail trim

It has been my understanding that the reasons for neutering is primarily to help keep the kitty population down, but also prevents the cat from later becoming a potential problem by spraying all over the house, and also helps distemperment. If I'm wrong, please let me know, as I want to learn about these things.

Anyway, it has been a week since our visit to the vets office, and it seems the cats whole attitude has changed, ...for the worse! He use to be all lovey and relatively good natured, but now he is just being flat out ornery. It kinda goes in spurts though, he'll be fine one minute, and then the next minute, he either tries, or does bite me, and scratch at me (thankfully he just0 got his nails trimmed). He tries to get downright ugly on me sometimes (..meaning he really tries to bite me and hard). I don't know what is going on with him, but I assure you that it's not good.

What had promted me to post this, is that here just a few minutes ago, I'd reached down and picked him up off the floor. I was holding him properly as I was taught when I was a youngster, and I was talking softly to him, ...then suddenly he turned his head and bit my ear!! What do you suppose that was all about?? I must tell you that I'm very frustrated at this point. I don't know if perhaps he's still in some pain or discomfort from the surgery, or if there is something else going on with him.

Any ideas, tips, or suggestions, please feel free, I'm all ears (..well, one good, and one bitten ear. lol!)

Thanks a million!!!
reeB
Old 01-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Playful Pup

....anyone have any ideas as to what might possibly be going on with this cat all of the sudden??
Old 01-16-2005, 07:07 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Candycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura about
How old is your cat reeB? Both of my cats went through a terror phase when they were 4-6 months old. Perhaps that is what your cat is doing?

As you said, he also might be in pain from the surgery. Have you talked to your vet about this?

Does it seem that he is doing this to play (agressively at some times) or do you truly feel that he is trying to hurt you?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Playful Pup

He is a about one year old now. There is no doubt about it, he's not playing. When he bit my ear earlier, he bit me hard.

Also, he is going through these really crazy and wild hyperactive spells, where he'll just tear through the house pouncing on everything, and really bouncing off walls!! It's totally insane! He has been stalking and pouncing on imaginary things, ...I mean things that ain't even there!!! What's up with that? He's also been chasing his own tail (not real uncommon, but anyway...).

I guess the name, "Spook" really fits him quite well. I guess I'd thought that after being neutered, he would tame down a little, but it's been exactly the opposite. This really has gotten me a little uneasy.

Thanks again!
reeB
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Candycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura aboutCandycane has a spectacular aura about
Many sites suggest that aggression is often seen in cats under two years. There is some speculation that late neutering may allow the cat's "tomcat" behavior to develop and persist after neutering...this hasn't been proven or disproven. This site is useful.
http://www.catcaresociety.org/aggression.htm

If you are really at the end of your rope, I would suggest an animal behaviorist.

We own a feral cat that can be very aggressive. He has been this way since we got him as a kitten. As he ages, he has gotten much better but he still has issues. We have had him for 5 years now and know him quite well...so we know when to leave him alone and/or brace for an attack. The article I posted above has some ideas for controlling the behavior. What we do...
If Max is sitting next to us on the couch, bed, etc. or on our laps, and becomes aggressive, we immediately pick him up and set him down onto the floor. If he attacks one of us, or the other cat, or dog, we pick him up and give him a time-out in the bathroom. I'm not sure that he gets the point of this, but it does calm him down. Someone else suggested that we put him on his back and hold him there for a few seconds. That didn't work very well and usually resulted in more damage to ourselves.

Anyway, best of luck with your kitty. It can be very frustrating but he will most likely calm down...at least a bit.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycane
Someone else suggested that we put him on his back and hold him there for a few seconds. That didn't work very well and usually resulted in more damage to ourselves.

Wow!! I can't imagine why anyone would've suggested to put a cat on his back and then hold him there for any amount of time, ...cats will usually panic in situations such as that, at least from what I've seen people do while playing with various cats over the years.

Thank you for posting that link, ...it was very interesting, and extremely helpfull, too. That article had mentioned many things that chimed a bell with my situation, and it was exactly what I needed to help with my understanding of these issues. From what I gather, all of these things he's doing are quite normal in cats of this age. I'm not at the end of my rope, I have lots and lots of patients, ..I was more concerned than anything else. Just seems that his neutering was a turning point for him. We'll be able to deal with his behavior just fine. Now I know what signs to watch for so that I can avoid being bitten, ...that will help a lot!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
reeB
Old 01-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
Reeb, some kitties don't calm down until months or even a year after their spaying/neutering!

Gerona, my white cat, calmed down about a month after she was spayed. But Galina was spayed in October and she STILL hasn't calmed down.

The running around and pouncing at imaginary things sounds like normal kitty behaviour to me. Our cats have spurts of energy where they will TEAR through the house, leaping off the back of the couches and sides of the walls and just zipping around like balls in a pinball machine! My husband and I call this "kitty war games."

As for the biting, the link Candycane gave is very good. You just have to learn to understand kitty body language.

Hunh ... I would NEVER put a cat on its back to try and get it to stop being aggressive. This works for some dogs, but dog behaviour is much different from a cat's (as we all know ). I guess the person who suggested that figured, "Well, if it works for Fido, it might work for Puss, too." We hold Gerona on her back like a little baby and she doesn't mind, but if we ever tried that with Galina, she'd eat us alive.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:12 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

Max doesn't mind being on his back in general...but when he's in one of his moods, the only thing he can think about is taking your hands off.

I think that the person who suggested it figured that it would help establish dominance (as it does in dogs) and show him that we are in control. But like I said, it didn't work well. I can't speak for the long-term effectiveness because we didn't stick with it.

The time-outs are about the only thing that's worked.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

CTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the roughCTChin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
The running around and pouncing at imaginary things sounds like normal kitty behaviour to me. Our cats have spurts of energy where they will TEAR through the house, leaping off the back of the couches and sides of the walls and just zipping around like balls in a pinball machine! My husband and I call this "kitty war games."

I agree. To me this part if a sign of a happy cat

Tags
white cat