Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Wild Animals > Animals in the Wild

Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:17 AM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

MissAmandasZoo is on a distinguished road

hurt raccoon

i just looked outside on our deck because something knocked the dog food container over. It was a raccoon as i suspected but when it turned around it didn't have a tail! Just what looked like a big, tial sized boo boo. Poor little guy! I wish I could help him so badly but they're wild, and mean. It was so cute though! I feel so bad for him.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Call your local ER vet and ask them if they have the number for a wildlife rehabilitator. Sometimes they can help, sometimes not. But it's worth a call.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
State fish and wildlife should also have numbers of nearby licensed rehabbers.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

MissAmandasZoo is on a distinguished road
thanks! I don't think we could find him again, and if so it would be at 1 in the morning. I should try through. The raccoons are so mean here! They killed one of my kitties a couple years ago! I'll see if he comes back tonight, or if he fled.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
In KY, the Fish & Wildlife, Humane Society, and Emergency Clinic were never really helpful when it came to catching animals. The Emergency Clinic was probably the best of all of them, but we were the least equipped to catch anything. (I went by myself one time - ignorance is bliss - and threw a blanket over a Cooper's Hawk to catch him. Injured wing; we treated him at the clinic for a while, I took him home for a while and he finally healed well enough for release.) Usually both of the other places would tell them to call us.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; I'm glad to see someone else trying to help these little guys. But be prepared to spend part of your day on the phone calling not only those organizations but the vet clinics, too. If you are lucky someone will have a cage that you can borrow to catch him in and you can have a vet lined up to check out his injury before deciding what to do.

Raccoons are my very favorite of all the wildlife I worked with. I'd love to know what happens with him!

Critter

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Old 03-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Dena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to all
You can also try your local animal control officer. They should be able to deal with more that cats and dogs. The should have a list of rehabbers or know of what vets in the area will treat wild life. A silly woman in my area once found a racoon on the side of the road and wrapped it in a blanket and drove it to the vets. When she got to the vets she couldn't get the racoon out of her car and needed the ACO to get it.

My point of the story is do not try to catch it yourself. Spending half a day on the phone is much safer.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
You are so right, Dena. Especially because of the possibility of rabies. Some states (I know Ohio is one for sure) euthanize first and ask questions later. They don't allow rehabbing of raccoons at all. I always had mine tested if they died in my care and never had one come back positive, but all it takes is one to test positive and the news services run wild with it.

Critter

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, dog food, humane society, local animal control, vet clinic