Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Wild Animals > Animals in the Wild

Animals in the Wild Want to share something about a wild or endangered animal? Look here!

Old 09-27-2004, 03:20 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

Tilt has a spectacular aura aboutTilt has a spectacular aura aboutTilt has a spectacular aura about

Skunk Behavior

A question directed to those of you familiar with skunks and skunk ways (I certainly do not qualify, having only lived in the same territory as them for a little over a year now.)

I was just headed back to work tonight and stepped down from the stairs leading from the front door of my house when a skunk sort of bounded around the corner of the house, right at me. In a very cat-like way, it kind of "lunged" at me. If it weren't for the fact it was low to the ground and had an insanely fuzzy tail, which was black and white stripey, I would have sworn it was a cat. The tail tipped me off, though.

Now, my question... Is this normal? I thought skunks would be more likely to run away, and if pursued (dumbly I might add ) will then spray. This thing just kind of bounded around the corner right at me, like a dog or cat might do. I ran inside because, well, no one wants to smell like a skunk...not even a skunk.

Was I just attacked by a skunk? Someone enlighten me to skunk behavior, please! I've never heard of skunks doing this, but then I haven't done that much reading on them. (My interest in them sort of stopped when I became aware of just how bad they really smell. I figured I knew enough then. lol.)

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin