Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

kokuhaku14 is on a distinguished road

Degus fighting

After getting treats for my degus today, I only saw one run to the cage door, and upon further inspection, I found the other one on the cage floor and it wasn't a pretty sight. Apparently they had gotten into a fight last night when I was asleep and I didn't wake up to it. They had never fought before this, and were both very healthy and active, never an aggressive moment in their lives, even after two years of owning them. Has anyone ever experienced this before, or can anyone give me an idea as to why this might have happened? I was very much looking forward to having them both for several more years and now this. I just don't know why..
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
I'm very sorry .

It's hard to say what happened. This is a growing problem with degus now . Sometimes they just break into fights for no reason.

I'm sure it was nothing you did. Where did you get them originally? I've noticed some pet store degus with strange behavior and have wondered if genetics are the cause.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
It could also be the other way around in theory.
If one animal gets sick, the other may attack it to get rid of the weak link.

I agree with Sasami though, it does sound like a genetic problem. I'm not sure how good people are at keeping pedigrees over their degus. That can be a problem, if some breeders believe in the idea that you can inbreed most rodents roughly 5 generations before defects will show.
This + people not keeping track will result in almost every animal being very inbreed in the end.

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Adolescent Pup

kokuhaku14 is on a distinguished road
It's just odd that they would choose to eat each other two years after being with the other. I thought it over, and due to my current schedule, I have decided it is in my degu's best interest to find him a new home. If anyone in the Portland, Oregon region is interested in taking a degu, please message me with contact information. Sorry in advance if I determine you are not a suitable owner, I am very cautious about such things.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
Problems with personality glitches do not have any due dates on them. It will just happen one day for no obvious reason.

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Problems with personality glitches do not have any due dates on them. It will just happen one day for no obvious reason.

Exactly. In most of the fighting degu stories I hear (the really bad, bloody fights), the degus have been together for years and suddenly fight.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."