Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Part of the Pack

petluvr01 is on a distinguished road

Dust Bath

I was searching for some chin. Dust bath and found that there are SO many kinds! I was wondering what your opinion was on dust baths. Also, what do you put your dust bath in? I really don't want to buy one of those expensive plastic bath houses, it will probably get chewed up in no time. I was thinking of leaving the dust bath in their cage, to cut down on the cleaning time, and to make it easier. I would like pics if possible. I really like pics!!! Thanks a bunch

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet
Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Amomfirst is on a distinguished road
I buy whatever they sell at the local Pet Supplies Plus - it comes in a box with 5 pouches. It's the only thing you can find around here, so I won't be much help as far as that's concerned.

I had a shallow ceramic dish and that's what I put it in. You're right - they'll trash the plastic things and with this thing, they can both get into it at the same time, which we enjoy watching - not sure if they enjoy bathing together, though! They tend to get snippy with each other any time there's something special to do.

As for leaving it in the cage, I wouldn't suggest it. They will trash the sand and you won't be able to use it again. They end up using it as a litter box and my one goo even hides treats in there, which combined with the litter box thing, just grosses me out!! Everywhere I've read, they suggest putting it in the cage for about 10 minutes and removing it.
Punkin
Cosmo
No names, don't come when I call
Bullet and Molasses
Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Binky is on a distinguished road
I like to get the fine powerlike-dust instead of the corse-ground. It makes my goos all sparkly. The dust doesn't irritate my goos or make them sneeze, like I somewhat thought it would do, so thats good. I keep mine in a red house-looking tub thing we bought. And I can't let Baby go in there unsupervised or she'll start kicking all the dust out of the tub and onto the carpet. Or on me, depending where I placed the tub.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Part of the Pack

MañasMom is on a distinguished road
I use "Super Pet" brand Chinchilla Bath Sand. It comes 5 pouches in a box, like another member mentioned.

I've read that the dust can cause upper respiratory issues, being that it's so easy to breathe it in. I've breathed it in myself when pouring it, so Degus could do the same.

I used to use a big, glass fish bowl as a bath house. But, now I have one of those nice plastic bath houses. I don't put it in the cage, but do put it out in Imana's play pen several times a week.

I let her take as many baths as she wants, but as soon as she gets tired of bathing and wants to start chewing, I remove it. LOL Sometimes she doesn't try to chew at all, and other times all she wants to do is climb on it and chew it.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Amethystbelle will become famous soon enoughAmethystbelle will become famous soon enough
I use the chinchilla sand (in the UK we have dust and sand as two different products, not sure if you do in the US) as the dust (which is very very fine) can cause respiratory problems if used over a long period of time in some animals so i tend to steer clear. The sand tends to be a little courser and less fine and doesn't create as much dust when its being kicked around so in my opinion is better then the dust.

I use ceramic bath houses in all but in one instance and thats with my non chewers. The foursome had a plastic bath house that cost me a bomb and lasted 10 days max so plastic definately is a no no if you plan on keeping it in there all the time. My degus have access to their sand 24/7 as they would in the wild and they do put food in there and occasionally use it as a toilet (they prefer to wee on my floor) but on a whole i go through the sand once a week and replenish as and when neccessary. My tip is to get a strainer and sieve the sand once a week. It gets rid of all the nasty bits and leaves you with clean sand and saves you money as the sand lasts longer as you only have to top up a little at a time

These are the two bath houses i have....

The ceramic one....

And Basil using his plastic bath house....

I've also used stainless steal dog bowls in the past and a ceramic bowl....

But the downside is they usually end up kicking the sand everywhere so i tend just to stick the the bath houses now

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Playful Pup

pixidance is on a distinguished road
Currently, I'm using one of those trays that meant to go underneath a planter They do chew on it, but it doesn't stay in there very long. Once they're done bathing and they start chewing, I pull it out.

It's deep enough that most of the dust stays in. I plan on getting a house when I have some extra money hanging around They're much tidier.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Part of the Pack

I went to Wal-mart last night, and in my quest for a jar to hold food, I found a glass candy jar that looks like it would work for a dust bath. Here is a picture, minus the candy! lol

I just wasn't sure if they would be able to get out of it b/c it's glass. If they can't I can always make a staircase or something out of cardboard. Also I wasn't sure if it is wide enough for a goo or two to lay down and take a bath. IDK.

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Old 12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Part of the Pack

Oh, by the way, I relized that the candy jar in real life isn't as steep as it looks in the picture!!!

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Old 12-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Amethystbelle will become famous soon enoughAmethystbelle will become famous soon enough
As long as its big enough for them to have a good roll around in then it looks great

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

dumbo rat is on a distinguished road
I have the ceramic chin bath with the ears on the top, they cant chew it and the both of them go in at the same time.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 PM

CaptainKitty is on a distinguished road
Degus pee in the dust to mark their colony, the scent of the daddy usually.
Before mom had her babies, both the mom and dad would pee in it. Now just the dad does.
It seems gross, but in the wild that's what they do. They roll in the dust near their nest, and it gets peed in so that everyone in that nest (chinchillas and degus) smell the same so they know who lives there!

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, litter box, pet supplies