Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Newborn Pup

canadianshark74 is on a distinguished road

Handling Degus?

We purchased 2 female degus two weeks ago. At first they were a a little scared of us handling them. After a couple of days they warmed up to us. And now, for the last few days they will not jump into our hands at all.
Its seems like they have totally changed. It is really frustrating.
The cage is large enuf, has 3 levels, a wheel, stuff to chew on etc.

I would really like to know from people that have them as pets, as to how you get the degus to be a little more tame. We try and handle them everyday. But they just don't want to be handled at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Runt will become famous soon enoughRunt will become famous soon enough
I had a problem with my first 2 Pebbles and BamBam.It took awhile before they would trust me.
Your girls may still be a little scared. Have you done anything different from before?Like move their cage or anything like that.I think if you give them time and keep trying by letting them smell your hand and putting your hand in their cage they will eventually warm back up to you.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Newborn Pup

thanks for your reply.

also they tend to bite a lot. and it is really getting annoying.
any help with the biting?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have only had mine to bite me a couple of times once because I caught him off guard and squeezed alittle tighter than he wantedThe other time I clipped a nail a little short.

Are you making sure your hands are clean and free of any smell of food or anything?
Are they biting you when you try to hold them?
Or are they just biting when you put your hands in their cage?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Newborn Pup

yes, our hands are free of any scent,
they bite our hands in the cage and out of the cage.

I thought they would start getting used to us by now.
We have had them for 14days.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

It took me quite awhile to gain pebbles and BamBam's trust.I found this article earlier this evening.I have never had trouble with mine biting.I hope this helps.

Taming comes mostly through treats. When degu is afraid of your hands, give him some treat, first through wires and later you can open the door so the contact with your hand is closer. And yet later you can hold the treat, not let the degu take it, so that he must chew every piece from your hand. Just don't give treats to degu too often so that he stayed healthy. Sometimes it don't have to be a treat - just before feeding give him a piece of his normal food, he'll take it rather from your hand thatn from food bowl.

Except treats, you will probably want to take degu out of his cage. But don't grab him by force. This is very frequent mistake. All degus are afraid if you try to grab them like hamsters or other pets. Degus are not lap pets, they would think you could be some predator if you take them from back and they can't see that it's you. Then they might become frightened yet more than before. The right thing is to place your hands and wait till degu will come to them.

While you play with your degu, speak to him. He'll remember your voice and when he gets used to it your voice will calm him down, he'll recognize you or even come when you call him. If you often say his name he'll remember this sound and he'll know that you speak to him when you say it.

Biting:
Some degus can also bite even it's not very often. Mostly he is just defending from some bad experience in the future. Behave the same way to this degu, just be careful not to leave your finger before him too long - he won't try to find your fingers, he would bite you only if they are neat his mouth. If you be patient and he'll recognize you are nice to him and don't harm him (and give treats to him), he should stop biting. I found the info here.

http://www.degus.org/english/faq/faq32.htm[/url]
Old 04-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

It took me quite awhile to gain pebbles and BamBam's trust.I found this article earlier this evening.I have never had trouble with mine biting.I hope this helps.

Taming comes mostly through treats. When degu is afraid of your hands, give him some treat, first through wires and later you can open the door so the contact with your hand is closer. And yet later you can hold the treat, not let the degu take it, so that he must chew every piece from your hand. Just don't give treats to degu too often so that he stayed healthy. Sometimes it don't have to be a treat - just before feeding give him a piece of his normal food, he'll take it rather from your hand thatn from food bowl.

Except treats, you will probably want to take degu out of his cage. But don't grab him by force. This is very frequent mistake. All degus are afraid if you try to grab them like hamsters or other pets. Degus are not lap pets, they would think you could be some predator if you take them from back and they can't see that it's you. Then they might become frightened yet more than before. The right thing is to place your hands and wait till degu will come to them.

While you play with your degu, speak to him. He'll remember your voice and when he gets used to it your voice will calm him down, he'll recognize you or even come when you call him. If you often say his name he'll remember this sound and he'll know that you speak to him when you say it.

Biting:
Some degus can also bite even it's not very often. Mostly he is just defending from some bad experience in the future. Behave the same way to this degu, just be careful not to leave your finger before him too long - he won't try to find your fingers, he would bite you only if they are neat his mouth. If you be patient and he'll recognize you are nice to him and don't harm him (and give treats to him), he should stop biting. I found the info here.

Degu
Old 04-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Romping Ratties

I would not recommend feeding any rodent through the bars ever. This can be a disaster waiting to happen as it teaches them that anything that goes through the bars is a potential treat, which can get you nipped pretty bad. They cannot distinguish between a tasty treat and a finger.

It should also be mentioned that degus should not be given any sugary treats as they are prone to diabetes and cannot properly metabolize sugar.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Adolescent Pup

undercoverrats is on a distinguished road
The degus that I have had were so very different from one another. How old are you girls you got? I have had some that no matter how much time and patience I gave them, they just prefered not to be handled. They would come to the door and in a sense play with me, but did not want to be in my hands, or picked up. Than again I have had a degu who was just a sweet darling, and seemed to love human attention. It is wonderful you have two so they can have each other to play with too. I would just say...do not give up, just be patient and in time they might come around. If you are really interested in adopting a pet that will enjoy your attention and will bond to you so easily...I would reccomend rats, hehe.

undercoverrats@aol.com

Tags
food bowl