Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Playful Pup

Trine is on a distinguished road

HELP please...Teeth filed too short, degu can`t eat...

Dear all. I figured out the tooth problem on my oldest degu, his teeth had grown too long. I took close up pics of the whole pac and compared them, his was twice as long (the lower ones.) So today we went to the vet to get them filed. I think she might have filed them too short. Now he`s struggeling to eat. He has a big apetite, but is not able to chew or get it down properly. In my desperation I gave him a grape cut up in slices (I know, no sugar allowed - but I have to get something into him ) He wasn`t able to chew around it, but managed to get something out.

I`m sure I`ve read something about this in a post, but I`m unable to find that post again, even on advanced search.

What on earth do I do? I`ve bought some new multi vitamins for his water, but he needs more nutrition.

Any advice will be received with grate gratitude.

Sincerely,

Trinity
Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
You need to either buy Critical Care (which is an herbivore feeding supplement designed for rabbits, guinea pigs, and degus), or take his normal pellets, make a mush with them, and syringe feed him that.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Playful Pup

Thank you for the help I called all the pet stores in my city, none of them had ever heard of Critical care or anything with similar effects. That`s what you get for living in a foolish country like Norway I rang the wet and she told me to try to put his food in water for a while to soften it up. I never thought he would eat it, but YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! WO-HO! He eats it I`m so happy now
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
It's kind of a specialty product even here, usually only vets carry it. If he stops eating, get an oral syringe and force feed him!

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Playful Pup

Thank you for replying I will watch him very carefully. I hope I don`t have to force feed him, but if it becomes necessary I will be more than willing to do so
Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Playful Pup

One more question Could it be that his teeth/mouth hurts after the anaesthesia/filing and it is not due to the fact that his teeth is too short? He won`t drink water, so I`m wondering if it is because it hurts him.. Do you think he gets enough water from the moist food? He has always been drinking from bottles, but I`ll try to put a tray of water in his cage and some on my fingers to see if he is able to lick it

Tags
filed, short, teeth