Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Tennan is on a distinguished road

New cage please.

Hello everyone its me again the female had babies 9 days ago she had a litter of 4, the two males still fight so i gave up on them so they are in different rooms, looking for a bigger cage because the current one i have is all chewed up and had to be wrapped in chicken wire to stop them from running out of the cage, so if you know a website where i could order a cage please post it to me so i can get it asap. (and yes the male was separated from the female for 6 days so he couldn't get her prego again.)

Thank you, Tennan
Old 09-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Of course the males kept fighting, you had two males and a female...all intact.

Is the male back in with the female? There's no magic number of days to keep them separate, he could still breed with her after 6 days.

Try Martin's cages. Some are large enough for small degu groups.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM

maiamira is on a distinguished road
build your own cage- its incredibly easy, we diod it for our guinea pigs and will be doing it soon four our flyers
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Tennan is on a distinguished road
Will i searched online to find out when to put the male in with the female and they also say it helps the female because the male would help raise them unless i got the wrong information, and i did build my own.... its made out of wood so i need a better cage theres one i want which is called critter mansion (double unit) but i cant buy it yet because they are out of stock so i was wondering if there was another site i could look at...
Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennan View Post
Will i searched online to find out when to put the male in with the female and they also say it helps the female because the male would help raise them unless i got the wrong information, and i did build my own.... its made out of wood so i need a better cage theres one i want which is called critter mansion (double unit) but i cant buy it yet because they are out of stock so i was wondering if there was another site i could look at...

The male does help raise the babies but he'll also breed with the mom again. So unless you want endless litters, they need to be separated by sex permanently (or the males neutered by a degu-experienced vet).

Maybe try drsfostersmith.com. They have a lot of cages and may have something that would work for degus.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
babies