Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM

dexterrules is on a distinguished road

Using small dirt devil in cages??

My new Degu Mia poops a lot and I have been using my old hand held dust buster to vacuum up poop daily rather then take out liner every day...I never realized they pooped so much!! Does anyone else use this? I keep her bedding in a plastic container rather then scattering all over the cage. She seems ok with the noise she will just move to another section when I am doing it. I also give her fresh water, food and treat when I am done..I want her to get used to the noise and not be too scared. From the pics u can see I have a fairly large cage and I like to keep it clean and neat as much as possible since we just moved it into the living room. I still take liners out weekly to wash thoroughly. Also can I give her water in a bowl? She loves drinking water off floor when I wash her liners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 005.jpg (68.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg degu 005.jpg (70.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Why not just use bedding to cover the bottom? That way you can simply replace bedding as needed, it might be easier. When I had degus I ended up using Yesterday's News (and similar brands) litter in the bottom tray, it was easy to clean .

But if you don't think she's scared, I don't see a problem. Maybe do it when she's out of the cage so there's no risk of her freaking out .

A bowl is fine but it should be very heavy since degus love tipping things over. I would still have the water bottle there as an option just in case, though .

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM

dexterrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Why not just use bedding to cover the bottom? That way you can simply replace bedding as needed, it might be easier. When I had degus I ended up using Yesterday's News (and similar brands) litter in the bottom tray, it was easy to clean .

But if you don't think she's scared, I don't see a problem. Maybe do it when she's out of the cage so there's no risk of her freaking out .

A bowl is fine but it should be very heavy since degus love tipping things over. I would still have the water bottle there as an option just in case, though .

Yes I have water bottle in too..
My cage does not have anything on the sides to prevent bedding from falling all over plus I would be replacing bedding every day because of how much poop there is...I think she is getting used to the dust buster...she comes over to me as soon as I turn it off now...I give her veggie treat after.

Tags
cage, cleaning, degu, water bottle