Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Flunky Emuhead

leplake is on a distinguished road

Veggies for picky eaters?

I can't seem to get my goos to eat their veggies. They(or at least one of them) eat sweet potato, but they wont eat anything else I put in there. I've tried kale, spinach, cucumber peels, broccoli, a bit of bell pepper, and even a tiny bit of tomato, and they still won't eat anything but guinea pig pellets, timothy hay and sweet potato.(and their treats)
I'd really like to find something the girls like especially now that they are both potentially pregnant I want them to be healthy, they just wont eat anything. I think I'll dry some carrot pieces tonight to see if they like those, because I have treats that have carrots that they gobble up. But I'd like them to eat something green... does anyone else have super picky eaters?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
How about romaine lettuce? That's usually a favorite along with dandelion greens and carrots...but those two can't be fed as much.

Just keep trying...I had one degu who took a year and half to finally start eating veggies .

Oh, and cucumbers are another popular one.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Amethystbelle will become famous soon enoughAmethystbelle will become famous soon enough
If they won't eat fresh try dried, all my goo's go mad for dried veggies even the ones who won't touch fresh and dried in my opinion is better then non at all Most veggies can be dried and if done correctly you don't lose much nutrient content so just as good as fresh. Most of my lot will eat fresh veggies but won't touch fresh leaves yet they all go mad for dried leaves, nothing as odd as degus

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 PM

JessicaH is on a distinguished road
Apparently my Degu once ate pork. =O

Never seen it though, haha.

My degus generally won't eat anything wet or juicy. Sometimes they'll nibble on a veggie, so I try to offer them some whenever I can.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Part of the Pack

MañasMom is on a distinguished road
Yes, my little girl will often times let her leafy greens wilt before she eats them. Yuck, I say, but I guess there's no accounting for taste. lol

Have you tried green beans? That's a BIG favorite here. Mine also go crazy for green peas. Maybe give those both a shot, those are both big hits around here!

Tags
dandelion greens, guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, romaine lettuce, timothy hay