Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM

kellyjo1039 is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with my Degu?

A couple weeks ago, I came home one day to find my Degu in a very bad way. He was lethargic, hunched(backbone can be felt through skin), whiny when touched, puffy-face, eyes squinted, and balance was very off. The night before he was acting normal, running non-stop in his wheel, squeaking like crazy. Garth also usually loves doing backflips, but I did notice he hadn't been as agile.

After researching his symptoms I came to the conclusion that he either suffered a stroke or he had an ear infection. He would however take water and food when I helped him. So I gave him Critical Care, bundled him up, cleaned his cage, and put a heating pad under his cage. He got a lot better I kept him on the Critical Care diet with a lot of Timothy hay. His appetite improved and he was very alert/active...for abour a week and a half.

Yesterday I gave Garth back his wheel, feeling confident of his recovery. He was running non-stop. And now this morning he is showing the same symptoms as before.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Please get him to a degu-experienced vet asap and keep him hydrated.

How old is he and what's his normal diet? Does he live alone? Have you used any cleaning solutions or sprays recently?

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 PM

kellyjo1039 is on a distinguished road

Update/response

Update:
I returned from work today around 7pm and Garth was more like normal. Still a bit off, but eating, eyes open, not puffed up, moving around.

A: We have had Garth for approx one year. He was a few weeks old when we got him. He has lived alone. We have been waiting for a male buddy for him, but degu breeders are limited and we are waiting for the one breeding pair to have another litter. His living space isn't as large as it could be, but he gets attention from us and gets to come out often. Overall he seems happy to me.

His normal diet includes: timothy hay pellets, timothy hay, oats, dried carrots (only as treats), peanuts (only as treats), dehydrated items from my garden (swiss chard, kale, tomato, basil, etc). His teeth are orange and seem healthy. His eyes are clean and clear. His bowel movements are regular. His coat is clean and gets dust baths regularly.

I have not used wierd cleaners. The only vet that can treat degus in my area is 45 mins away. I cannot really afford a visit, but have consulted an exotic house call vet that seems interested in learning about degus and treating garth. Honestly I'm doing the best I can on my own, which is why i made the post.

However, if his condition were to get extreme I will take him.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
The thing is, degus tend to hide illness because they're prey animals. So by the time they actually appear sick, there's often something seriously wrong. I hope it's not a big deal but unfortunately it does sound like he needs vet care. Even if it was something minor, it's hard to diagnose illnesses over the Internet.

For now, keep up with the Critical Care until the house call vet can come. Good luck and I hope he recovers easily .

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
degu, lethargic, octadon, sick