Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Degu Discussion

Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Playful Pup

DeguLover2009 is on a distinguished road
Question

Where can I purchase Degu's?

I'm having the hardest time trying to find where I can adopt/purchase 2 female Degu's in the South Florida area. I have tried Petfinder.com, Craigslist, Yahoo Answers, and countless other Google websites.

Does anyone know any breeders in my area? or any breeders with Degu's that will ship? (Or is shipping bad? Sorry, I have no idea!).

Thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Have you asked the local shelters and pet shops?

Sorry I can't help more, I'm nowhere near you.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Have you asked the local shelters and pet shops?

Sorry I can't help more, I'm nowhere near you.

No, no calls, although I have never seen a Degu in any pet store here.

And if there were any up for adoption in shelters wouldn't they be on Petfinder?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Playful Pup

hakeberebekah is on a distinguished road
i was just looking online and would this help you out in anyway?
http://www.degus.com/babydegus.html
Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeguLover2009 View Post
No, no calls, although I have never seen a Degu in any pet store here.

And if there were any up for adoption in shelters wouldn't they be on Petfinder?

Even if a pet store doesn't stock them, they might know of stores or breeders that do. In fact, they might even be able to order some for you (there's an exotics pet store near my house that does this).

Not every shelter puts their pets on Petfinder. And even ones that do aren't as likely to put up the smaller pets or exotics like degus. Pets also aren't put up instantly--the shelter has to update their Petfinder account and some shelters can be slow about updating.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Playful Pup

I have never even held a Degu before...I don't want to go ordering something I haven't seen Gah, this is complicated.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I have never even held a Degu before...I don't want to go ordering something I haven't seen Gah, this is complicated.

I hate to say it but when it comes to exotics like degus, you can't expect to just find a breeder or rescue nearby . You really have to look and sometimes wait a while.

I still think your best bet is to make some phone calls to see if any pet stores know of a breeder. Or just keep checking sites like Craigslist.

Have you ever seen degus available in your area? They're legal in your town/city, right?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I hate to say it but when it comes to exotics like degus, you can't expect to just find a breeder or rescue nearby . You really have to look and sometimes wait a while.

I still think your best bet is to make some phone calls to see if any pet stores know of a breeder. Or just keep checking sites like Craigslist.

Have you ever seen degus available in your area? They're legal in your town/city, right?

Yes, they are legal here.

I've never even heard of Degus until 2 days ago on the internet. Today I visited 2 pet stores, they didn't have any.
If they are so rare, why are they so inexpensive?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Yes, they are legal here.

I've never even heard of Degus until 2 days ago on the internet. Today I visited 2 pet stores, they didn't have any.
If they are so rare, why are they so inexpensive?

They aren't rare everywhere, it depends on the area (and it seems that your area is one of them). Which is also why the price varies.

In some places, I've seen them sell for almost $50. Where I live, you can find them for $10 because we happen to have a breeder in the area. Once I bought a degu for $5 because a store had a surplus of them.

That's pretty much what it comes down to--whether or not you have a breeder nearby.

But like I said, degus are exotic pets. The average pet store isn't going to order them which is why it takes a bit of searching. Since I don't live anywhere near you I can't give you names of breeders or anything (I wish I could), all I can do is offer tips based on my own experiences (degus weren't always so common where I live and it took me quite a while to get my first pair).

Tags
degu