Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

GerbilCrazy is on a distinguished road

brothers and sisters mating

ok well my gerbil had a litter of pups and they will be 5 weeks this wednesday and i am trying to find homes for them all when someone asks if i will sell them a male and a female so they can keep each other company I tried to explain to her you cant have gerbils together like that or they will breed but she proceeded to insist that they wont mate and their wont be any litters because she has a boy and girl horse that are brother and sister and two dogs that are brother and sister and there have been no litters (non of these animals are fixed) that doesnt mean that there couldnt possibly be a unexpected litter. She was just going on and on about how she should be able to have a boy and a girl in the same cage because they are brother and sister they wont ever breed ..... lol sorry I guess I just wanted to rave about it well does anyone have any thoughts on it?
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

LuvPets is on a distinguished road
That sounds absurd to me!! If her other sibling animals have never had babies, it doesn't definately mean they've never mated! And if they really have never mated, she's just been lucky!!!! When I bought my hamster Patches, she was pregnant----by her brother!!!!!! She had never been mixed with any hamster besides her litter mates. (By the way, she was pregnant when I got her-I wouldn't ever keep a male and female together!!)

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

I know I thought it was a little bit odd Ive never had brother sister pair any time i want another breeding pair I get another male and pair it with a female from my last litter. my sister had put her hamsters together and then again the second time she kept some of the hamsters together until they were about 9 weeks or so and she neer realized that on of them was a male so she ended up with a pregnant hammie none of the babies survived she ate them all as soon as they were born
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

pinkie1205 will become famous soon enoughpinkie1205 will become famous soon enough
They WILL mate and gerbils can breed like crazy.

I think this girl just got lucky or she's misinformed and her pets are fixed.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

LuvPets is on a distinguished road
Two of Patches' babies died from birth defects due to inbreeding. I was very surprised that 8 did survive and were healthy! I wouldn't give this chick any of the gerbils!!! She needs to be better informed!

Missy: That's a good point about them maybe being fixed!

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...
Old 03-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
Umm.. she sounds like a irresponsible owner and i wouldn't give my babies to her to raise.

Don't try talking sense into her it probably wont work, but you don't have to aid her in getting more pets.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 AM
I am allergic to maths

RodentzRule is on a distinguished road
Animals dont care about inbreeding and if she doesnt understand that dont give them to her! If she is insisting on a boy and a girl I think her plan is to mate them and make a couple of bucks! I wouldnt be worried if she asked for a boy and a boy or a girl and a girl but there isnt anything different about a boy and a girls relationship besides mating and I expect that she knows that, if she doesnt explain it to her.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

as soon as she insisted on a boy and a girl in the same cage I knew I wasnt going to sell them to her. I'm just trying to talk some sense into her for any pets sake. No animal wants to spend a life time breeding (mine only have one or two litters at the most) raising pups and such just takes way too much out of them to have them raise litter after litter after litter. no animal deserves that. the only option that there could be with having a boy and a girl together is getting the male neutered but I dont know anyone willing to put extra money into their gerbils like that you might as well just have 2 boys or 2 girls well hopefully this lady doesnt get any small animals that could be crazy gerbils can have anywhere between 36 to 108 a year on average and two hamsters together would be disaster
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1

Tags
insest, mating