Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

fur problem

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  karlh 
#1 ·
My hamster (who will finally let me pick him up without a fuss, yay!!) has these two weird spots of fur. They are just above his back legs and are identical on both sides of his body. They look "wet" but don't feel wet, and they also look a bit like matted fur. He's got short hair though and the placement of them is weird I think. I've noticed them for a few days now (maybe even the last week) and I'm not woriied, but definitely curious.

Any ideas what they could be. Here are a few attempts at pictures, but he doesn't really stay still so it was hard to get a decent one. Also a picture of his face thrown in for good measure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Syrians have their scent glands in that area, on either side of their body. These produce scented liquid, with which they mark their territory and paths, so that they know where they are. They depend on this scent and hearing for survival, as their eyesight is pretty poor. Particularly, as in the wild they cover up to 5 miles a night, foraging for food. Dwarves have their scent gland on the underbelly, where you might expect to see their navel. It secrets same liquid and serves the same purpose.

Have a look at posts and articles here concerning this. You may also like to have a look at the following for some more:

Newsletter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.