Hamster fight! Advices please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 29
Posts: 10
 
Question Hamster fight! Advices please

Hello!
I own two male syberian hamsters and today I decided to go to the store and get them a friend because one of the hamsters (which is gay by the way, keeps on jumping on the other male hamster until he gets pissed off) is really old and bearly doing something besides eating and drinking (And of course pooping all over the place) Anyway I went to the store and bought a normal hamster, at first I thought to put the new hamster in a seperate cage because they aren't of the same breed... But my stupid friend put the hamster along with the dwarf hamsters and a brawl started (surprisingly by the dwarf hamster which are a quarter of a size of the normal hamster!!!) as I put the new hamster in a seperate cage she got really pissed and broke a part of the cage so I went back to the store and got another dwarf syberian hamster (a male one because I already have to males) when I put him in the cage my young energetic hamster started attacking the new and shocked hamster so I seperated them really quickly (and got bit, ouch...) since then the two hamsters I already had and the new one are in seprete cages. An internet friend of mine who raises a rat told me that if I'll put the two cages by each other for a few days and then try putting them in the same cage again they might be friendly... Is that true?
And also I want to mention that my new hamster is really paranoid now, every time I touch him he starts running and squeaking and even if I'm blowing air out of my mouth on him he runs like a maniac... Poor lil' fellow...
Casp3r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:26 PM
I Heart My Job
 
dragonmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: milford, ma
Age: 35
Posts: 2,080
 
ok, even with dwarves you shouldn't just put a new hamster into the cage with no warning. glad to hear that you separated the syrian out of the mix all together. here is what i would do:

since the dwarves are in separate cages now, i would leave them close to each other so that they can see each other but not get at each other. Then, in a couple of days, i would introduce them on neutral territory and see how they do. if they are ok, then you can put them in a cage together After you have cleaned it so that everything is fresh and doesn't smell like the hamsters who have always lived there. in that way it is possible that you may avoid a territory dispute.

also, as a side note, they will fight for dominance, so as long as they aren't drawing blood, it may not be as bad as it looks.

sparkle-> shadow->
Adopt One!
To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
dragonmaster is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:29 PM
And here I am again, showing my butt!
 
SpottyPoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 420
 
Exactly what dragonmaster said.

Also, male hamsters are known for fighting with each other and sometimes cannot live in the same cage together. A forever side-by-side cage would work fine for that situation -- they still have each other's company.
SpottyPoo is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 29
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally posted by SpottyPoo
Exactly what dragonmaster said.

Also, male hamsters are known for fighting with each other and sometimes cannot live in the same cage together. A forever side-by-side cage would work fine for that situation -- they still have each other's company.
But I already have two males in a cage... And one of them is even gay. (I kid you not) Ironic, I read an article about homosexualism in animals on the paper a few weeks ago and two days afterwards I got those hamsters and saw it. They are both living nicely, they even fall asleep on the wheel together... But the gay hamster is really old and he's bearly moving, that's why I bought this other hamster. I'd really like to put them in the same cage because the cage with the one hamster is a really bad cage and small, the other cage is big and has pipes and stuff in it...
Casp3r is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 29
Posts: 10
 
Update:
Hello,
I did what you say, I took an old shoe box and put two out of the three hamsters I have together:
Attempt number one was a young hamster I have and the new one together in the box. They approached each other and started fighting... I seperated them and put them together again and the same thing happend, on the third attempt they went to each other, sniffed eachother and stopped fighting... Now I took the young hamster out and took the old hamster and put him in the same box with the new hamster. They started fighting and I seperated them on the second time I tried they faught again and on the third time after I seperated them the young one attacked the old one really badly and bit his ear really bad and didnt release. I had to gently release them by hand... Put everyone to their original places and there's quiet now. My question is:
Why did it happen? Why the first ones didn't fight after 2 times and with the old hamster they faught so bad that now the old hamster has a red ear and a small biting mark because of the new hamster? It's in teresting... I thought about putting the two young hamsters together in the big cage because there are a lot of activities there that the old hamster isn't using because he's plain old and he has bad eye sight... But what I really fear is that the two hamsters will start fighting again and I wont be able to put them apart... Your opinions please.
Casp3r is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:18 PM
I Heart My Job
 
dragonmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: milford, ma
Age: 35
Posts: 2,080
 
Well, they need to establish a pecking order. THere will always be one that is dominant and they will fight for that. It is possible that they just will not be able to be housed together because sometimes pairing just don't work. My suggestion is to give it about 3 or 4 days with side-by-side cages and try the introduction again. give them time to get used to seeing each other. There really isn't much else you can do...

sparkle-> shadow->
Adopt One!
To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
dragonmaster is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde
 
Runt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Puxico,Missouri
Age: 61
Posts: 1,768
  
You must realize that not all dwarf hamsters can get along.I have found thru trial and error.You can never put a young male with an older male.Death will most likely occur.Or a young female with an older female.In order to get 2 of the same sex to get along in my research is when they are young.
(quote)But what I really fear is that the two hamsters will start fighting again and I wont be able to put them apart... (/qoute)
For the sake of your hamsters don't do it.I have been breeding Dwarfs for along time and I wouldn't recommend it.You will likely wake up and find a dead hamster.
Even with females it is hard to pair 2 together unless done at an early age.I have had 2 sisters both were dominant and I had to seperate.I have had a Female kill her mate after 4 months together and vise versa.It is hard trying to get 2 to get along unless they are purchased at the same time.Please leave them as they are.Just my opinion
I should also add that even a few minutes can result in a very bad injury and possibly death due to infection if not treated right away

Last edited by Runt; 07-29-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Runt is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 29
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally posted by Runt
You must realize that not all dwarf hamsters can get along.I have found thru trial and error.You can never put a young male with an older male.Death will most likely occur.Or a young female with an older female.In order to get 2 of the same sex to get along in my research is when they are young.
(quote)But what I really fear is that the two hamsters will start fighting again and I wont be able to put them apart... (/qoute)
For the sake of your hamsters don't do it.I have been breeding Dwarfs for along time and I wouldn't recommend it.You will likely wake up and find a dead hamster.
Even with females it is hard to pair 2 together unless done at an early age.I have had 2 sisters both were dominant and I had to seperate.I have had a Female kill her mate after 4 months together and vise versa.It is hard trying to get 2 to get along unless they are purchased at the same time.Please leave them as they are.Just my opinion
I should also add that even a few minutes can result in a very bad injury and possibly death due to infection if not treated right away
Will do. Thanks a lot for your answers.
Casp3r is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 PM
babymenu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
When I returned my hamsters to the pet shop because of their continuous reproduction, I put them in a cage of their own at the store. I took the hamsters that were already in there and mixed them with some in another cage. I knew that they would fight, but the fighting didn't seem too bad so I left them there.

When I came back a week later, two of the hamsters had their faces bitten off and were dead. I then confessed to the person at the pet shop that I was the one that mixed them together. Luckily she's a friend of mine and didn't charge me for them.

Be careful when you mix them up if they're from different tribes!
 
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 29
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally posted by babymenu
When I returned my hamsters to the pet shop because of their continuous reproduction, I put them in a cage of their own at the store. I took the hamsters that were already in there and mixed them with some in another cage. I knew that they would fight, but the fighting didn't seem too bad so I left them there.

When I came back a week later, two of the hamsters had their faces bitten off and were dead. I then confessed to the person at the pet shop that I was the one that mixed them together. Luckily she's a friend of mine and didn't charge me for them.

Be careful when you mix them up if they're from different tribes!
I gave up, after I saw how they faught I will never EVER try it again. I've learnt my lesson. Those hamsters are too cute to be hurt, I'll post some pictures of them if you want, I have a digital camera.
The only thing I need to by for that lone hamster is a proper wheel, he has one but the gaps on it are too big and wont fit a dwarf hamster.
Casp3r is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:04 AM
bjaret
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Most male amall mammels mice (with the exception of rats ,) hamsters ect. Will fight to the death you are putting in a male that in the wild would most likely take the terrtory or fight over it.
Survival of the fittist over breeding ground territory. Your hamster is not gay LOL when male mice are housed to gether and hamster for that matter, will take there sexual frustrations out on each other. They want to breed to pass on there genes thats how nature works. Iv seen male mice chew the sexual organs off of each other kill each other cannabolize each other ect. You can buy 2 males and keep them together starting at a young age. Watch them if they get aggresive you will have to seperte them or risk death or injiury. Do not put male hamsters that have not been raised with each other together they will fight, in the wild they are solitary creatures. Know male rats are not as likely to fight. They can be put together at a young age . I havnet tried when they ve gotten older so not sure about that.
 
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 29
Posts: 10
 
It IS GAY

Quote:
Originally posted by bjaret
Most male amall mammels mice (with the exception of rats ,) hamsters ect. Will fight to the death you are putting in a male that in the wild would most likely take the terrtory or fight over it.
Survival of the fittist over breeding ground territory. Your hamster is not gay LOL when male mice are housed to gether and hamster for that matter, will take there sexual frustrations out on each other. They want to breed to pass on there genes thats how nature works. Iv seen male mice chew the sexual organs off of each other kill each other cannabolize each other ect. You can buy 2 males and keep them together starting at a young age. Watch them if they get aggresive you will have to seperte them or risk death or injiury. Do not put male hamsters that have not been raised with each other together they will fight, in the wild they are solitary creatures. Know male rats are not as likely to fight. They can be put together at a young age . I havnet tried when they ve gotten older so not sure about that.
And I've checked it... I got this hamster from someone who had three hamsters in the same cage, 2 males and a fmale... That hamster didnt come near the fmale, it tried to liturally RAPE the other male until he started hitting him... Heh, I saw it with my own eyes. And now it's in a different cage with a different male and still wants to mate with it. And there's an article about how homosexuality is also available in animals besides humans, even insects!
Casp3r is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 12:51 PM
OrsonElf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mounting is a dominance act, not necessarily a sexual one. The one mounting just wants to assert its in charge.

Quote:When I returned my hamsters to the pet shop because of their continuous reproduction, I put them in a cage of their own at the store. I took the hamsters that were already in there and mixed them with some in another cage. I knew that they would fight, but the fighting didn't seem too bad so I left them there.
:/quote

This really bothers me. Because of their continuous reproduction? Did it never occur to you simply to seperate the boy from the girl and give them their own cages? They can't reproduce if you don't allow them to.
 
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Adolescent Pup
 
Nall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Billings MT
Age: 32
Posts: 109
 
I bought a new hamster for my old pet hamster since the other one died. these were syberian hamsters too. (I forgot the gender though, I believe they were both male). I put them in a cage, and the first thing they did was fought. But somehow after putting them in the cage a few more times, they got along just fine. I think holding them both one on each hand works also. I forget how I did it. It was a long time ago. All I know is it is possible. But also, One thing is for sure, two syberian hamsters will surely get into occasional fights even when bought at the same time. I've never had two hamsters that didn't fight. I suggest being careful though. When you put two stranger hamsters together, they come right at eachother for a fight. And I don't know how long they'd fight. Right now I don't have any hamsters. They kept dying for whatever reason. Either I didn't feed one right, or one escaped and got killed by my cat, or I didn't clean the cage enough. I was quite young, and probably not responsible enough to take care of a hamster.

Nall is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: -
Posts: 1
 
ey erm...sorry jus wana ask something bout my hamsters...wats the "defination" of hamsters fighting ?? cox i jus bought 2 new hamsters few days ago...but this few nights they started exercising wif the wheels and somhow they squeeks/screeches seem to chase after each other...might seem they're fighting for the wheel but past few days they've no problem slping together =\ sum1 help me out >.> so worried ~
guardianstar is offline  
Reply

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, male mice, male rat, male rats, pet shop, separate cages


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome