Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Playful Pup

bjbberkey is on a distinguished road

hamster vs. rats

I have had so many people tell me I made a mistake buying a hamster vs. a rat. They say rats dont' bite they are cleaner and smarter. They more or less say hamsters are just a pain, have you heard this.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:18 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Zouave is on a distinguished road
No, I love hamsters. But your attitude tells me you should not get a hamster as you have prejudice against them.

Syrian hamsters are solitary and must be kept that way. rats are social and should come in pairs. Rats have somewhat shorter lives, are more prone to cancer, bond with the human more, and some compare them to small dogs in how they act - being social they may look at the human as the Head Rat and food giver. They can be potty trained (hamsters and rats), but rats when they miss make a lot bigger mess! rats need time out of the cage more than hamsters, but are then more likely to gnaw things, much more likely than a rabbit. That means stuff, especially electrical wires, has to be rat-proofed.

Both have good points, but rats clearly take up more work; they also need a bigger more elaborate habitat to live in.

My hamsters don't bite either, except on the very rare occasions when I do something stupid such as suddenly grab them from behind. They are all sweet and gentle.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Naked Dog Mom

corgimom will become famous soon enough
I haven't heard it, I've experienced it. My male rats were always so much more social than any hamster I've ever had. The only time that I have ever been "bitten" by a rat was just a nibble. My bf's dad feeds Milo cheerios through the bars on the cage, so every once in awhile when you go to open the cage, he takes a small nibble, thinking that you are giving him a treat.

I've had probably a total of 15-20 hamsters (though that includes 7 babies that I gave to new mommies when they were about 2 months old) and some of them would come up to the top of the cage (I had those little lookout tower things) when they wanted to come out, but even still they were never as social as the male rats (my female rats were about equal with hamsters. All 3 of the hammies I had that would climb to the top wanted to be put down immedietly and left to explore. My boy ratties liked to explore and cuddle.

Plus, my hammies never learned their names. My first two male rats did. And they came when they were called. Milo hasn't quite learned his yet, but he's the only boy I've had that didn't (well, okay, I had a fourth male, but only for about a very short time, so he doesn't really count in terms of stuff like this. He was used as a breeder one time and didn't get along with Milo so I found him a new home. With a local breeder. I didn't have him long enough to work with him and teach him stuff).

In all honesty, I definitely prefer rats over hammies.

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
Old 04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Amethystbelle will become famous soon enoughAmethystbelle will become famous soon enough
Well i've had both and they both make great pets and couldn't pick between them as they both bring different things to your life and both make fantastic pets

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Padfoot is a jewel in the roughPadfoot is a jewel in the roughPadfoot is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Rats have somewhat shorter lives, are more prone to cancer, bond with the human more, and some compare them to small dogs in how they act - being social they may look at the human as the Head Rat and food giver.

Actually, from what I've read, rats have the longest life span from the 4 common small rodents (mice, hamsters, gerbils and rats). Average of 5 years, while syrian and gerbil average is 2-3 and mice average 1-1.5 years.

I've never had rats, but I would really like to have some. As Amethystbelle, I doubt that I'll stop having hamsters (or gerbils or mice) cause even many people can't tell the difference, they are all very different, have different personalities, different behaviors and I think they are all cute in their own way (gerbils big almond eyes, mice big round ears and hamsters "fat" squished body are their cutest features IMO).

Are you having problems with your hamster? Feeling dissapointed by it? Why? Is not as tame as you wish? If so, then you need more patience with it. Not all animals (individuals, not species) get confidence in their human at the same time. I have a hamster that is a biter, I've had her for over a year, and she hasn't calmed down. There'n no way of holding her, while the other hamster I got with her, at the same time, in the same place is the sweetest hamster ever and I never had a problem holding him. He even does a dance in the cage when he sees me, to call my attention so I pick him up. If you do not have patience with hamsters, probably would have some problems with rats too, even though, from what I've read, they are more easily tamed than hamsters, still need you to work with them and not all get tame at the same rate, and you'll get the odd rat that is fearfull and give you a hard time.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Part of the Pack

Fubie is on a distinguished road
The real only reason a person really picks a hamster over a rat is vanity, they don't like how the rat looks =\
Rats make much better pets, but if you'd rather watch a little fuzz ball run around in circles (it is cute) then a hamster would be the better choice because even IF you get a second rat you would still have to interact with them, because they love you ^^
And anyway, may I point out, hamsters are practically guarenteed homes, but 90 percent of rats are feed to some sort of animal.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
The real only reason a person really picks a hamster over a rat is vanity, they don't like how the rat looks =\
Rats make much better pets, .....

I don't agree with that at all.
Most people just don't have the knowledge about rats to keep them. What people don't know they fear type of deal.
As for better pets? Maybe for YOU, but not everyone. We can't be summing up dogs are better then cats, horses are better then tigers, whatever they may be every animal is different, have different needs, and like people they have have different personalities, and people in return all have different likes/dislikes and enviroments.

Say you don't have a big space available for a coupel of rats, well then a Rat is not for you. But if you have space for a smaller cage then maybe a hamster is for you.
When getting a new animal, it's best to reseach them as much as possible, talk to other owners, meet their pets ect. Because once you buy that animal it is YOURS, and it would not be fare to get "bord" with it, as animals are not toys, but living, loving creatures.

For Me, I'd love to have them all, But as for now I'll stick to gerbils, I like 'unstinky' pets :p (hehehe)

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

ratty_ratkins is on a distinguished road
im biased but
i dont like hamster. i have had mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, guine pigs, spiny mice, hedge hogs you name it
and the only thing to ever bite me was a hamster.
but a rat is not for you if you dont want two and dont want to interact with them atleast an hour a day. and they take up alot of space.
but they seem smarter, they love human company, they are clean and if kept clean the dont have a smell.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

ratty_ratkins is on a distinguished road
honestly its hard to compare those two because they have NOTHING in common with each other....
Old 02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Zouave is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Isn't there a rule about exhuming threads that are ten months old??
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Isn't there a rule about exhuming threads that are ten months old??

LOL... man i HATE when old stuff comes popping back up to haunt us....

Good eye there Zouave.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!

Tags
female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats, potty train, potty trained, spiny mice, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters