Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Hissing...

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  karlh 
#1 ·
my Dess is a winter white regular sized hamster. i've had her for about a day and a half, and i just went to check that she was alive. when i saw her she opened her mouth and started to hiss. it was like a high-pitched clicking sound...is that normal?:confused::confused:

#2 ·
My class had a hamster that did this too. I'm not sure if it's normal but just wanted to share my experience.

#4 ·
It usually indicates agitation (in my experience). My hamsters only hissed when I accidentally surprised them. Many times the hissing is followed by a chattering/clicking sound. I think these sounds work the same way as a dog's growl, it's a warning. You should give the hamster time to get used to you before you handle it without gloves. She will take time to trust you. It is also important to remember hamsters are nocturnal (night time is when they are awake). She will sleep a lot during the day and you shouldn't wake her up. It is best to hold her in the evening. If you have to wake her up for some reason don't touch her while she is sleeping. I always made a sound or called the hamster's name quietly to wake it up. This seemed to work well and I didn't get the hissing response.

It is important not to push the hamster in to accepting you. You must take plenty of time to tame her. Try hand feeding her treats when she is awake or letting her run around on you lap in a secure area (such as a fenced play circle or a DRY bath tub).

#5 ·
You have had her less than 2 days? She is in a completely new habitat and scared stiff... How old is she? Would you not be scared if an elephant tried to step on you.. Sure, you would... There is an established procedure how to tame your new pet. Have a look at the link and also other articles and posts here, to tell you exactly how to succeed.. It all depends on this period, how your hamster will behave for the rest of her life...

Newsletter

#9 ·
haha thats adorable! My hamster will cry forever and jump (which is totally cute!!!) until i let her out in her ball or hold her, but if i put her back too soon she starts making her little cry again, i feel horrible on the days i dont have time to get her out for a hour!
hammies are so funny.

#10 ·
Hamsters cry for attention? I didn't know that. How adorable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.