Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Zoo Keeper

Elliriyanna is on a distinguished road
Oh I'm so sorry. No I dont think you are a breeder at all. I'm glad you took them in
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Part of the Pack

VictoriaB is on a distinguished road
It's okay just a mis-understanding. No way i would never breed an animal in my life. I'm not a fan of people who do that. Sorry i may sound snippy but i am just really annoyed that she would let them go so young and that we actually took them in when they should still be with their mother. We are going to try everything we can to help them grow to be big healthy females. They are both female thankfully. Will they drink out of a water bottle at this age?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Zoo Keeper

its not your fault. As for a water bottle they learn from their mom ... I would try it. But a shallow water dish is also a good idea

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Part of the Pack

We will try the water bottle and put it in with them plus a shallow water dish to make it easier for them. Im just glad we gave them a bit of lettuce and they finally ate something.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Zoo Keeper

lettuce has almost no nutritional value. try spinach and broccoli ... pretty much anything dark green is good for them. I would also recommend ordering some mazuri pellets and hazel hamster. petsmart also carries them

Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Part of the Pack

ok i was going to give them broccoli but since i was giving my guinea pigs lettuce i thought i would give that a try. Ok thanks i will give that food a try too atleast it's cheap which is good as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Zoo Keeper

its like 8 for a bag of Hazel and 7 for a bag of mazuri and that should last them a while. They are both very highly recommended.

I just thought I would let you know At their age it can also cause diarrhea

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah it will make my life a whole lot easier since we are already at petsmart every week to feed my animal army(we have also two dogs, two cats, two guinea pigs and my beta fish that just died yesterday ) Is there a certain amount that we should feed them of the food? I feel like such a newb asking all these questions.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Zoo Keeper

Better to ask questions and learn from others mistakes

As for feeding I give my adult female 1 tbsp seed mix and 4 pellets daily so that should about feed your babies. However, refill the dish as needed at this age there is no need to withhold food. there almost never is unless they develop a weight problem

I have a cat 2 hams a 40 gallon and 5 gallon that I plan to put ADF's in ( my betta recently died too)

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah that's what i like about this forum is people don't have a spaz if you ask question's. Ok cool we just gave them a huge dish of the food my husband bought since we can't get to petsmart until this weekend. That's quite the animals you have as well. It's been pretty sad since he died. I had another one that passed away last year and i had him for three years.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Some lettuces are fine, it's just iceberg that's an issue. Romaine lettuce, red leaf, etc. are OK to feed in very small amounts (leafy greens in general should be fed sparingly). I included romaine lettuce in my hamsters' diets . Although I don't feed vegetables at all to babies, it's too easy to upset their digestive systems.

Good luck with your new hamsters .

Oh, and I would separate them before they start fighting. Hamster fights can be quite violent. They'll probably be fine until about 8 weeks or so and then I'd move one of them.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Zoo Keeper

Some veggies are fine as babies its best to introduce them now otherwise they will have more trouble as adults. Sorry about the lettuce I knew that. Still you shouldn't feed too much. But leafy greens are great.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Some veggies are fine as babies its best to introduce them now otherwise they will have more trouble as adults.

I haven't had any problems, actually. All of the babies I've raised did fine eating vegetables as adults even though I didn't feed them until 7+ weeks of age . So you'd be surprised. The main reason I don't recommend feeding vegetables to babies is because it's so easy to overdo it. Sure, if someone feeds a tiny sliver it'll be ok. But most people over-feed and the resulting diarrhea can be seriously dangerous for a young hamster.

Then again, I mostly raised Syrians so it could be different for some of the dwarf species.

Sorry if it seems like I'm purposely trying to argue with you because I'm not . I think we both have the same view point on vegetables, I'm just cautious in recommending someone feed a baby watery vegetables because it's easy to feed too much .

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Zoo Keeper

Oh I'm not at all saying feed them a lot esp not watery veggies at this point. More like half a piece of broccoli ( they shouldn't eat it all) or other highly nutritious but not so liquidy veggies. Diarrhea at this age is very very serious they dehydrate quickly. I fed all mine veggies from 2 weeks and they were fine. It all depends. Just do what your judgement says is best.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Part of the Pack

Yeah i've only given them tiny little bits of veggie's to make sure they like them first. But now my other issue is that they are barely drinking any water even from the shallow bowl. I don't want them to get dehydrated.

Thanks i am sure i'm going to need all the luck we can get right now but i am glad they are in our care now.

Tags
babies, hamsters