Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Part of the Pack

VictoriaB is on a distinguished road

How old can a hamster baby be before leaving their mom

We recently got two baby hamsters as i missed having them since my other two passed away and someone was selling babies for 5 dollars each. She said they were 3 weeks old and they are super tiny. Is it normal for someone to let the babies go at 3 weeks old.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
Are these Syrian hamsters?

3-4 weeks is normal for weaning but I've always felt 4 weeks is better than 3. I feel like they benefit getting some extra time with mom and you can then be sure they're totally weaned.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Part of the Pack

I don't believe so but i can take pictures of them.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Part of the Pack

Here are a couple pictures of them. They were born June 6th.

Here is another one of their siblings from their litter.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Zoo Keeper

Elliriyanna is on a distinguished road
they wean at 3-4 weeks they should NOT be seperated from each other. They should be sexed and seperated at 5 weeks and adopted out at 6 weeks. 3 weeks they should not be going to new homes.
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Part of the Pack

Is there anything we can do or is there a likely hood that they could die?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Zoo Keeper

for now keep them all together that species will each need a 20 long cage when they are about 5 weeks. They can not lie together when they are older they will each need their own cage. They should make it but may suffer developmentally. give them fresh food twice weekly and boiled egg white every week to two weeks. also make sure they are on a good diet. I would start giving them a little hay and feed them a primary diet of Hazel Hamster and Mazuri pellets. This is what my Kodi gets ( sadi is a picky eater) and he is fine both are highly recommended food.

They are gorgeous. I will help you sex them. i raised a litter of 15 lol

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
To be honest, I haven't seen any scientific evidence that suggests they won't develop correctly if separated at 4 weeks. I think it's great when breeders can keep them with mom for 4-5 weeks, though.

6 weeks is really pushing it IMO, the males can sometimes mature early and get mom pregnant at that age. So any males should at least be separated by 6 weeks.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Zoo Keeper

I said they should be sexed and separated at 5 weeks. There is some evidence I found a while back. and separated at 3 weeks is different from 4 at 4 they are mostly weaned

Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
I said they should be sexed and separated at 5 weeks. There is some evidence I found a while back. and separated at 3 weeks is different from 4 at 4 they are mostly weaned

Then why adopt them out at 6 weeks instead of 5? I think I misunderstood your post, sorry.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Part of the Pack

Sorry i didn't breed them incase anyone was wondering. We got them today from someone who apparently didn't know any better and neither did we as we have only had hamsters from the petstore and they are like atleast a couple months. From what i know they are both female but i will take pictures once they are a bit older as i am not really sure if you can fully tell at this age. If they start fighting at any time we have another cage as right now they are in a 30 gallon tank since i wasn't sure if they could break their little legs through the spaces.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Zoo Keeper

I sexed mine at a week at this age its easy to people with a decent amount of small rodent experience. they should always have a solid floor and wheel. I highly recommend the Wodent wheel. Also cage size should be at least 360 sq inches floor space multiply length times width height needs to be high enough for the wheel.

Also rehome a week later so they have time with each other. and it gives you time to set up homes for the ones that dont have them. This isnt a neccessary step but they cant be with their mom safely past 5 weeks so why not same sex groups ? i'd imagine its hard losing their mom and siblings at the same time. There is no evidence to suggest this is helpful honestly but it cant hurt. ( though they should be caged seperately at the first sign of real fighting or when they reach 8 weeks)

Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Part of the Pack

They both will have different cages as soon as fighting starts and they will both have big sized hamster cages. This isn't the first time i have had hamsters. I had many as did my siblings when we were younger but i have never had one's this young.

I have no plan's to rehome either of these two. The third picture of the hamster is another one of the hamster's from the same litter that the lady has who we got panda and Almond from.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Zoo Keeper

Many think a small cage is fine so I always feel the need to warn about the cage size. and I was stating what the person who had the litter should have done

Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Part of the Pack

oh ok. It would have been a bit easier if you said them and not made it sound like i was the breeder(my bad)

Tags
babies, hamsters