Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Part of the Pack

-Deana- is on a distinguished road

Inbred gerbils

I know I have posted this before, but all of my newest littler has this nose thing going on. I am getting worried now. It is just them that are getting it. Giacomo the first who got it and I thought he was getting better, well he isn't. Neosporin isn't working, changing the bedding didn't solve it. He seems lively but that nose and mouth has to hurt. He can't chew on the cardboard and I am afraid his teeth is going to get long. if he can't do that maybe down the line he won't eat, or drink. I am going to take him to the doctor and see what this is. Do they give gerbils shots? I ask this because I can only get giacomo to let me put medicine on him. The other bit me so hard he drew blood and took a few minutes to get it to stop.
thats another thing too, they are more agressive than my other litters too. I just pick them up and get a little nip. Giacomo he doesn't bite yet, his nose is so sore I am not even going to attempt to put medicine on him right now, I need someone to hold him to do it. I tried and he wouldn't be still. He is the one who is going to the doctor because he is the worse one I don't want to lose these babies because I made a mistake sexing them. Oh the little girl doesn't have this problem only the males they are 3 months now and I thought they would be ok. I know littlepaws had inbreds has anyone else had some and any problems with them? All I can do is take him to the doctor and see what is wrong with him, I am thinking a virus now this is sad for me. I love my gerbils.

Captain Jack sparrow
"There will be no living with her after this"

This is my first baby Girl Nibbles, isn't she so so cute!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
I had inbred mice by accident before and they were fine, except for 2 that were born without eyes...they always had little sores around where the eyes were supposed to be and they didn't live long.That was a couple of years ago and was such a sin,as I didn't know there was a rodent vet here and so I never got them into the vet and now I kick myself for that! I will never live that down for not looking into vets here.Now I have one of the nicest vets!

I am always hearing stories of inbred animals and their illnesses and injuries and behaviours!It is quite sad really, but accidents happen.

I say you should get them into your vet and see what they say...I have only had that experaince with inbred animals, so I cannot really give you any advice.I wish you luck with your gerbs tho and hope they get better soon!

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 04-30-2006, 06:28 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Padfoot is a jewel in the roughPadfoot is a jewel in the roughPadfoot is a jewel in the rough
Do these males live together? Where do they live? What bedding are you using with them? I'm thinking either biting the bars (if they are in a cage) or allergies to the bedding. It can happen that a gerbil is allergic to aspen or carefresh... so it's not a matter of "this bedding is good, this is bad". I suggest that, if they are in a cage, change them to a tank where they have nothing metal to chew, and change the bedding to paper towels or unscented toilet paper. Other problem could be mites, they can get them from the bedding or the hay if you give them, but then the others would probably have them too if they are getting the same stuff. Taking them to the vet is a good idea, since he can check for mites and that sort of stuff or tell you if it's an allergy. Good luck with them.

Vanilla rat, as far as your babies go, the vet probably wouldn't be able to do anything for them. I don't know exactly what gene caused that in your mice, but I know that in campbells dwarf hamsters there is a gene that, when the hamsters are homozigotes, they are born white, smaller, without eyes and without teeth. They grow alright till they are weaned, then they die of starvation cause they can't eat. It does sound like it was the same with your mice.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:29 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh wow...thats such a sin.Honestly I do not know too much about genes, they can be so confusing if you don't fully understand them!

My little mice were so pitiful looking...I wonder if it is a similar gene to the one you mentioned of the hammies??

Old 04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Part of the Pack

LittlePaws is on a distinguished road
Let us know what the vet says, and good luck. I hope all your babies get better.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Part of the Pack

Thank You littlepaws hugs
Padfoot my gerbils are in cages, one is with the mother for right now, two babies are in the same cage and the other one with his father. I was explained to about mites I don't think they have them, I don't see anything running around on them. I use aspen bedding. I have a tank I just dont have everything I need to set it up right now. I am going to convert to tanks with all of them, going to get pricey but if it will help with this problem thats what I have to do. Again today Giacomo is looking better, don't know what is going on tomorrow I can go to petsmart to see if they have tops in reptiles if not I will just have to go looking I need to get good wheels too because those cheap plastic ones they won't use them, and the wire ones is a no no I hear.

Captain Jack sparrow

Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Even if they did have mites, you wouldn't see them.Mites are microscopic and your vet would have to do a skin or tape scraping to find out for sure...

Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Part of the Pack

I use aspen bedding, can they get mites from that? I don't see any other way that they can get them other than that. If they had mites they would scratch more right, than just a normal itch?

Captain Jack sparrow

Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Padfoot is a jewel in the roughPadfoot is a jewel in the roughPadfoot is a jewel in the rough
Yup, they can get them from aspen, if the aspen wasn't packed and managed well, and yes, they would scratch if they had mites, and lose hair.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Part of the Pack

I think mites can be in any bedding. I use to know someone that used carefresh and they said it would have mites in it from time to time. I never had this problem though.

I will say this, I have had bad mite problems before and none of my gerbils had problems w/there noses, but I am sure it could happen.

And mites do start off small, but they get big fast and you would see them. And if you handle your gerbils alot you would have mite bites all over you.

Dora scratches, but I think it is due to dry skin.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Part of the Pack

we handle aor gerbils everyday since we have had them, and none of them seem to have them because they crawl all over us in my bed and we aren't bitten, except by them lol just kidding. mine just scratch a normal scratch and have no hair loss, and as much as we hold them, I don't think we have mites I was wondering do gerbils get fleas too? they do have fur I was just wondering about that just now

Captain Jack sparrow

Old 05-03-2006, 05:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Li'lChris, I think you are thinking of lice.Lice can be seen, but mites cannot.Not with the human eye...unless there were a ton of them, then you MIGHT see them.Maybe if you used some white tissue or something, they may be able to be seen.One of my old rats had mites and my vet told me all about them.

Here is a link I found Deana about different things gerbils can get and even how to check if they have mites...

http://www.agsgerbils.org/Gerbil_Car...ok/health.html

Old 05-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Part of the Pack

My gerbils did have mites, it was confirmed by a vet and I did see them. Since they such the blood of animals they get pretty big and are brownish red, and when you squeeze them blood comes out. I saw them crawl up and down my wall and crawl around in the tanks. Perhaps there are different types of mites, but I saw them and that is why I brought them to the vet, and the vet did confirm it. Also, the last time Dora's tank had it, my boyfriend helped me clean out her tank, and my boyfriend got one on him, and he saw it too, and he squeezed it and blood came out of it.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Well I learned there are different types of mites, but the ones you mentioned sound alot more like rodent lice.I have dealt with those nasty buggers before too and thats exactly what lice look like and they crawl around and it is just really gross.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Part of the Pack

eww I certainly don't like lice, I was wondering about fleas and if gerbils can get them? All I know is mine don't have anything and I am going to make sure they don't. If it is bedding I will treat it now. But I have had gerbils for over a year now and I have never had any problems with the bedding. I did have a cat around here for awhile and I was wondering about fleas. I finally got my son to come and get the cat and I don't have to worry about that now. She didn't have fleas that I know of.

Captain Jack sparrow

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, ear mites, hair loss, vanilla rat