Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:57 PM

kprice12 is on a distinguished road

Introducing male and female hamster

I have recently gotten a male dwarf hamster and would like to eventually have it in the same cage with my female. What is the best way to introduce them? I already have a pet store lined up to take the babies.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
Why do you want to breed?
There is more to breeding then adding a male/female.And what if the mother dies during birth???

Also giving the babies to a pet store is not cool.
You don't know who ends up with the hamsters...could be used for snake or other animal food or someone completley cruel can buy them.Pet stores generally do not screen buyers.

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cazsamps is on a distinguished road
Could i just add that its really not wise as hamsters can live up to 3 years or more and you cant have your female having that many litters!! That in itself will kill her. Why do you feel the need to have a male living with your female if all you are gonna do anyway is give the babies to a pet shop which like Lisa said is really not cool as they will most probably end up as snake bait
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

LuvPets is on a distinguished road
I unknowingly bought a pregnant female. Thankfully, all went well. She was very young-only about 1.5 to 2 months old herself, and had 10 babies. Two died from birth defects. There was A LOT more involved than I would've ever thought!! I was on pins and needles the whole time of pregnancy and then everyday until the babies were old enough to go to homes! Before and after care for the momma--for months afterward, also takes alot of thought! Patches gave birth in Sept. and I still have to make sure that she gets the right balance of stuff to boost her health back up. And having babies will reduce the females lifespan. Not to mention that it is VERY hard to find good homes for the babies!
Do you already have the male and female? I would get another female and male and keep them together by gender!!

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...
Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
I accidentally bought a preggo hammy too a long time ago... Definatly NOT fun! Ive had some accidental pregnencies too (male escaped and got into females cage... you can guess what happened next!) and I NEVER want a preggo hammie again. The babies are adorable, but raising them and making sure mom stays healthy is more stress than you could believe! Its also rather hard to find homes for babies... Alot of people just take them home for snake food.

Where did you get the male and female? Are they from good breeders? Do they have good genetics? Any dideases or problems the babies can inherit? How about temperment? That can be passed down too.
Theres ALOT you need to know before you breed, and I wouldnt suggest doing it... If you really want more hamsters, go to the humane society. I garentee they will have some homeless ones in need of adoption!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
cages, female, hamster, male