Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Part of the Pack

Firefly is on a distinguished road
Question

Is just one gerbil ok?

My brother just got two female gerbils yesterday, but they started fighting a lot. I thought two would be ok since they were from the same litter, but it's not. He has decided to take back the aggresive one and just keep the other one. Now I've read that gerbils should be kept in pairs.......will the one gerbil be ok by itself?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:30 AM
Part of the Pack

-Deana- is on a distinguished road
It is recomended that they are in pairs, but alot of people have just one gerbil and apparently they are ok. It's just because they need a companion to sleep with I wonder why they fought if they were from the same litter? I bought one gerbil too at first and a book on gerbils found out they need to be in pairs to thrive. I went and got another one, a male, because Nibbles didn't accept another female either but in my oppinion yes they need another gerbil with them and that is just me.

Captain Jack sparrow
"There will be no living with her after this"

This is my first baby Girl Nibbles, isn't she so so cute!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Part of the Pack

I don't know why they fought, but poor little Dipstick can't do anything without Skippy (aggresive one) coming up and pushing on her face and chasing her around. I hope Dipstick will be ok alone. I doubt my brother will change his mind and get another one after returning Skippy. He was upset that they fought....and felt bad for Dipstick. Does anyone here have just one gerbil in a cage?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Part of the Pack

LittlePaws is on a distinguished road
How where they fighting? If they were just chasing each other around and doing boxing like behavior, then it was just play fighting. but if they were jumping up in the air and bitting each other then that is definetly not getting along.

Also, what kind of habitat did you put them in? Was it a new cage or tank? If not, and you had another pet in there before, they will get the scent on them and they will think of each other as strangers and begin to fight.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Part of the Pack

They weren't just chasing eachother...Skippy would chase and bite Dipstick and then Skippy would push her head on Dipsticks head (which from what I read Here is fighting). And Dipstick would never come out of this corner because Skippy would start to fight with her.

It is a new cage...no other animal has lived in it. My brother returned Skippy today. He hated to do it, but felt bad for Dipstick. Dipstick seems very happy now. She came out and ran around everywhere eating and playing. So that's good.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Part of the Pack

LittlePaws is on a distinguished road
You did the right thing then. I had to return a gerbil for the same reason about a month ago, but this gerbil I was slowly trying to introduce to my other gerbil. I felt bad returning him too, but I bought him for companionship for my other gerbil, and I wasn't about to go out and buy a new tank and accessories for a gerbil that attacked my other gerbil.

Maybe later down the road you can introduce another gerbil to Dipstick. If I were you (if possible) I would find a gerbil breeder, so the breeder would know the tempermant of a gerbil that you are looking for and find the perfect match for Dipstick. That is the mistake I made, I tried introducing a new gerbil that I didn't even really know his tempermant yet.

How old are these gerbils at the petstore? I wonder if they put all sorts of gerbils together at the petstore from different shipments and then give them all something so they won't fight in the customers prescense. Some petstore I have seen, I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Part of the Pack

I have no idea how old they are. We got them from PetsMart and it didn't tell us. If it was my gerbil I would try looking for a breeder, but I doubt my brother will bother with that. Dipstick seems happy and my brother doesn't want to return another one (he felt so bad for Skippy).

I wanted to hold one of the gerbils before my brother took them home, but it you had to go into this small space to get them out and I'm not sure they would've let me.

We had actually planned to get two males because we read that they aren't as territorial, but we went to the petsmart that had all females by accident and my brother fell in love with Dipstick. She is the sweetest little thing. Doesn't mind being held or anything. She's happy and my brother is happy, so I hope it works out.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:46 AM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
It is reccommended to keep more then one gerbil, but I only have the one,my little Ember.I have had her for a couple yrs now alone and she is best kind.She acts normal and is happy and friendly.I have thought of getting her a friend a couple of times, but where she has been alone for awhile now...I really doubt that she would accept a new friend.

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Part of the Pack

That's good to hear. I think she will be happy.