Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 AM

kittylitter159 is on a distinguished road

Please Help!

Okay...So I went to Petco on Friday, June 18...and got two free gerbils...And today, when I went to check on them...(they were making a lot of racket that I wasn't use to) I saw my little blackout "humping" sandstorm...I have NO idea what to do...I went over to them and it seems that they have stopped...However, I am unsure of what the outcome might have been...Should I be expecting some new little gerbils? If so, some advice would be very lovely. Since I am new to any small rodents... I had trouble telling the sex of them. Until now of course. >sigh<
I can't separate them because I only have that one cage. Like I said, I just got them. Please Help me!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

CrWoodyspets is on a distinguished road
Well, petco doesn't always sex their animals properly and it is possible that you got a male and female gerbil. You could post pictures and we could try to help you out with the sex of them.
Although animals of the same sex do 'hump' each other too..

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls
Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 AM

kittylitter159 is on a distinguished road
Alrighty, well I have discovered that they are both female. so that is a good thing. ha. However...I now have a MAJOR concern...I went to check up on my babies about 5 hours or so ago...and I went to play with Blackout...and when I looked at my hand..i had blood smears on it..I picked her up and she had blood all over her nose and what looked like some sort of wounds on her neck! On top of that about a day or so before THAT, I came back home to see that sandstorm was squeaking and I picked her up and saw that she was bleeding! I went into a panic until I saw that is wasn't NEAR as bad as I thought...It looks like one of her claws was ripped off...>shudders<... But I think that Sandstorm did it to my baby...Please...what should I do. I can't afford a vet at the moment. I will in a few weeks. But I don't know what will happen. Is any of this natural?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

FlickeringHope is on a distinguished road
Her wound will probably scab over by itself. As long as you keep them separated so the one can't agitate the wound, it'll probably heal by itself,

Tags
babies, breeding, gerbils, mating