Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Zouave is on a distinguished road
Question

SEVIN DUST. Another Mite Remedy??

This came to me in an e-mail from a friend. Thoughts?

>> If you are having a mite problem & need a faster
solution, and easily accessible, you can use Sevin Dust. It s available at most plant nursery stores & is used to control pests on human consumables like tomatoes & other garden goods. Carefully used, it is a relatively safe way of dispensing with small animal & bird mites (I don't believe there is any 100% safe way!).

You mix it with the bedding - I use a
clear large shaker from the 99 cent store, like for
parmesan cheese. The dust should not be used in
enclosures with open water bowls, only bottles. I have
used it for years at the rescue on the occasion when a
new animal brings mites in, and for the 3 years I was
at the pet store. NEVER had a related fatality or even
any health issues from it. Worth a try to get the
critters some relief. <<
Old 07-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Southpaw will become famous soon enoughSouthpaw will become famous soon enough
Wouldn't do it...I actually bought some after having it recommended to me but then got a bit hesitant with it. Talked with my vet, he said he would NEVER use something like that.

I think it's just easier to go to a vet instead of treating things yourself, especially with a poison like that...you really don't know if you'll screw up.

Just my $.02

Old 07-29-2005, 04:25 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Zouave is on a distinguished road
For the hundredth time, I am not going to a vet to treat over four dozen animals. And a vet has a vested interest in saying it does not work and having people go to him. What for? I can also use Ivormec myself, and I have already also posted about Diatomeceous Earth as a third option.

Insecticide strips were recommended by a breeder. (?).

The fifth option is the Ultra Care spray and regular tank cleanings, but that gets to be a pain.

But thanks for the feedback. I won't use it until some people tell me THEY used it safely. Maybe not even then. The person who recommended it I do trust.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
SEVIN contains carbaryl. This is a pesticide with known carcinogenic properties in laboratory animals ...like the ones you are going to use it on!

It also also has crystalline silica, which can cause silicosis of the lungs when inhaled.

It is especially deadly to invertebrates (which is why you are using it) but it kill "friendlies" like bees and spiders too.

Sevin dust is something I would NEVER use around me or my animals. If you aren't going to check with a vet, I'd at least look at the material data safety sheet (MSDS) of anything you are considering. It'll give an idea of what you are dealing with.

Same story for pesticide strips. They have linked to hundreds of pet deaths.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 07-29-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
Zouave,

Ive been thinking about your situation, and have a couple of suggestions.

First, I think you should take the worst affected of your animals to a qualified vet. Several types of skin maladies can look like mites, this way you can be sure of what you are treating for.

If it IS mites, just use whatever he prescribes on all of your animals. DE is a safe alternative, but he may suggest something like Ivermectin. I have been informed by one of our vets that many mites may now be resistant to it, the vet can advise you on this.

Second, if you are resolved to treat at home, without advice from a vet, ...Revolution (selamectin) is another treatment that has shown to be effective on rodents. You usually have to get it at a vet's office, and it is going to be somewhat complicated to administer in the dosages required. I believe that is it around 6mg per pound of animal (it will say on the package). This means you'll need an exact weight for each of your animals, and will have to compute the correct dosage. I'd use a scale graduated as fine as possible. A digital cooking scale might be an inexpesive option.

The good thing, is that because your dosages will be so low, you might be able to treat all your animals with just a few tubes of the liquid.

For an applicator, I'd recommend using an insulin syringe (take off the needle) for application ...it will be accurate in the small dosages you'll be dealing with.

I would not recommend Frontline, as it can be fatal to rodents if they ingest any of it.

As you can imagine, this is going to be one of the more difficult solutions. What's more, it will only be effective on the mites which are currently residing on the animals. A complete bedding replacement and cage cleaning is necessary ...as with any treatment.

I understand where you are coming from, ...not wanting to take a dozen animals to the vet. At some point, many (if not all) of us that keep small animals come to the place where we have to decide whether to take a $10 animal in for a $50 vet visit. I think that is one one the burdens of pet ownership. Either you are committed to the animal or not... Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do it.

One other thing to consider... If you do have mites, and if you ever take your animals out of their enclosures, you may have mites/eggs in your carpets ...or any other place your animals have been. The longer you wait to deal with this, the worse the problem gets, and the more itching your animals have to endure.

Hoping this helps..

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"

Last edited by Mygala; 07-30-2005 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

lixx is a jewel in the roughlixx is a jewel in the roughlixx is a jewel in the rough
Umm, no to the Sevin. I worked at a garden center for 5 years and would NEVER recomend it for use on animals. It is NOT liscenced (here in Canada anyway) for INDOOR USE. Anything treated with is should be kept outside for 24hrs. It is not something you should be putting on live animals!!

Snuggle Buddies Come drop by!

Original Chinchillas

Chinchilla Breeders
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM

Callimico is on a distinguished road
I've heard from a breeder that Bug B' Gone works very well, the same as some other mite treatements, just you aren't paying for the name brand. They said take the gerbils out, use 10% bleach to clean the tank, sprinkle it with Bug B'gone put in fresh bedding (not wood, since it's easier for mites to reproduce) and then (has anyone else heard of this??) very carefully wash the gerbils body in Head N'shoulders- will kill all the mites on them, and then once the gerbil is rinsed in luke warm water and thoroughly dried, rub a tiny portion of the dust into their coat and put them back in the tank, mite problems gone, but it's best to continue treating once a week for a month and to rub Bug B' Gone on the rim of the tank.

Anyone else heard of Head N' Shoulders working? I hadn't before, I imagine it would be very difficult to rinse a small animal, but if it eliminates all the mites...?
2 Cats- Blackie and Binky
Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Curmudgeon

Ortho Bug-B-Gone uses Esfenvalerate as it's active ingredient. It's NOT what a vet would recommend for mite treatment. Not any vets I know, anyway.

It may be safe for use around rodents, ...then again it may not. No one has tested if for that use. I don't think it's a good idea to use treatments just because you heard someone else say it worked for them.

In essence, you are using your animals as test subjects... Not a good idea IMHO, ESPECIALLY when you are talking about pesticides (some with long term effects, like liver and kidney damage or birth defects).

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
Old 08-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Callimico is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info I'm not using it on my pets, it's just what I've heard other gerbil and hamster breeders use successfully if they get mites (not the oral type, I think they just refer to it as a dust? Is that the same thing as Ortho?), with no ill effects so I was curious if other rodent owners had heard of it also, or use it. The two I talked to had their vet come look at their breeding stock, and said he prescribed it weekly for all the gerbils except pups under 12 weeks and lactating females.
2 Cats- Blackie and Binky
Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Curmudgeon

I'm just going by product labels and MSDS.

No where did I see anything mentioning safe for use around animals. It did specifically warn not to use around aquatic animals. ...but then most do.

We have always used Ivermectin or diatomaceous earth.

Next time I see my vet, I'll ask her what miticide dust she recommends.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"

Tags
cage cleaning, pet owner, pet store, vet visit, water bowl