Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM

kaemwood is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Sister's hamster looks like a zombie?

I moved away about a month ago and I just came to visit my parents yesterday. I saw that my little sister's hamster had gotten disturbingly sick looking. It makes me cringe just to look at him, that's how bad it is. He doesn't have any hair on his back legs, one is black, and the other is scabby and red. He has discharge coming from his eyes and he isn't really walking on his back legs much. He has scabs on his body and hair loss in other regions too. His eyes are also dark around the edges. I'm contemplating taking him to the vet tomorrow to have him put down because he looks so bad. I don't know if he's in pain or not and that's why I'm considering it. He's about two years old. I tried to call the vet today, but it's Sunday. I know he needs to go, but I'd like some insight on what might be going on with him. With everything I've read, it seems like he might have mange, but I'm really not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA_IMAG0975.jpg (12.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by kaemwood; 04-22-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Nibbler is on a distinguished road
whats his diet ? what bedding is he on ? do they know how long hes been like this ? when you say little sister do u mean a child like 7 years old ? if so then your parents should be helping her with the responsibility of pet owning as well.

By Anonymous
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 PM

kaemwood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
whats his diet ? what bedding is he on ? do they know how long hes been like this ? when you say little sister do u mean a child like 7 years old ? if so then your parents should be helping her with the responsibility of pet owning as well.

He was eating just "regular" old hamster food. My dad said he thinks it's the food he switched him to because it was an off k-mart brand. He got sick probably two months ago but it was just a little cut on his side and his eyes were REALLY dark, almost scary dark and in just a months time, he's become encrusted with stuff around his eyes and on both his legs. No, she's 11. She got him as a Christmas present and she loved him to death but she doesn't very often get him out of his cage.

Last edited by kaemwood; 04-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Nibbler is on a distinguished road
he needs some veggies in his diet for sure they need viriety,
he also needs to see a vet asap. what type of bedding is he on ?
11 is still young to have a pet all of her own so parents definetly need to help with that no offense to them or anything.

By Anonymous

Tags
blackened legs, eye discharge, hair loss, itchy, scabs.