Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Gerbil & Hamster Discussion

Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Playful Pup

Nan is on a distinguished road

truth about Black bear hamsters

Okay,
I've owned several different kinds of hamsters. Is it true that black bear hamsters are friendlier than Syrian or Dwarf hamsters? I have a Chinese Dwarf hamster who is friendly, but very smelly. He's in my first grade classroom, but everyone says they can smell him, even though I keep his cage really clean. He does smell more than the two guinea pigs or the rabbit that are in my room too. I have him on aspen bedding and clean his cage with straight vinegar. It helps for a while but the smell returns quickly. I thought I might keep him at home and get a black bear hamster for school. One of my children brought one in for a visit and he was probably the friendliest hamster I've ever met. I'll probably get one anyway because I think they're so cute. I'm interested in your experience with these type of hamster. I know they call them "black bear" so they can charge more than the syrian ones. LOL
Diana
Old 06-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
If I'm not mistaken, a black bear IS a Syrian, just a different color. I doubt there would be a personality difference linked to color.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
There shouldn't be a difference, like Jade said. But all the ones I've met have been super-friendly, though that might just be luck.

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 06-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

capnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the rough
Both of the above are corct, black bear is the name due to the colring and that way they can charge you twice as much for the same breed. Congrats on having a classroom that teaches kids how to respect and treat pets, that is awesome!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Playful Pup

Thanks. Come on guys. I need some encouragement here. I'm trying to convince myself that I NEED another hamster or that my kids will benefit from having one in the classroom. I know they are just a different color, but I've heard that they are tamer. Like I said I'm looking for evidence so when I tell hubby I need this kind of hamster, he won't give me a hard time. LOL
Diana
Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

capnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the rough
Syrians are easier to tame in my experience then Dwarfs. Dwarfs are smaller, faster, and harder to hold. I had a pair of dwarfs that HATED me. I rehomed them and they both turned into tame hammies in their new enviroments.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Playful Pup

That's what I need to hear. Sounds promising to me, LOL
Diana
Old 06-02-2004, 08:11 PM

Sassy is a jewel in the roughSassy is a jewel in the roughSassy is a jewel in the roughSassy is a jewel in the rough
I have had several syrians and I think the friendliest of them all was my black bear hamsters.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Laurie has a spectacular aura aboutLaurie has a spectacular aura aboutLaurie has a spectacular aura about
I have two dwarf hamsters and a black bear and didnt know that a black bear was a syrian!

I'll vote the the black bear is a lot calmer and easier to handle. Very sweet and docile.

I think your classroom kids would love one!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Checks Out PD 'Cheeky Bits'!

Wendy is on a distinguished road
No matter what colour any of my Syrian hamsters have been, they've been lovely - I recall some years back, having a cream colour Syrian hamster, he was soooooo layed back, I could have sworn I had a new species My black hamsters have been nice too, due my care, not due to their colouring ... Black Syrian hamsters are no different to white Syrian hamsters... except of course the obvious... they look different due to their colouring!

Too funny.. educate the right way.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Playful Pup

EFExotics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
There shouldn't be a difference, like Jade said. But all the ones I've met have been super-friendly, though that might just be luck.

When Black Bears were first imported to the us from europe, before they were available at every neighborhood pet shop, they WERE quite friendlier than Syrians.

They were touted to be a new breed, it wasn't just black coloration but there were certain differences in body shape and personality. They had been selectively bred for temperment. Black Bear was the most common color, but there were other colors too of these larger, friendlier Syrian hamsters. A friend of mine imported Black Bears and other colors of this new "breed" back then.

However, I doubt thats very applicable anymore, especially of Syrians available at Pet Stores. I doubt anyone's paid much attention to personality in the mass breeding of them.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Southpaw will become famous soon enoughSouthpaw will become famous soon enough
I've had a black bear syrian, and he was VERY calm, but my cream banded syrian was just as calm, if not calmer. I don't think color makes any difference.

I think syrians are calmer. *Male* syrians, to be exact. I currently have a female and she is SO hyper I can barely hold her.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Checks Out PD 'Cheeky Bits'!

Wendy is on a distinguished road
A marketing ploy... let's tell everyone we have a new species, give it a really cute name 'black bear' tell everyone how calm they are, oh, and charge more money for it... I wonder which Country started such a farce...hummm *scratching head*
Old 06-05-2004, 02:43 AM
Playful Pup

Thanks everyone for giving me your opinion. I had heard from owners of "black bear" hamsters that they were very tame. I was just wondering if other hamster owners had found that to be the case. I know they are "Syrian" hamsters that are just a different color. I said that in my original post. I just wanted to know if there was any truth to the claim that they were tamer. Just trying to do a little research here.
Diana
Old 06-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Adolescent Pup

Exotica is on a distinguished road
the store I work at sells Black Bear hamsters, and ALL the hamsters get mean if you don't handle them, which it seems, doesn't get done at the store as much as it should.
I think that the biting and skiddishness could be controlled if the breeders/stores did a lot of regular hand feeding and taming themselves, it would sure benefit our customers a lot more! For the most part, the kids working in that area care about getting a paycheck..they joke around about the BBHs being mean, and yet do nothing to help the situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bear hamsters, black bears, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear