Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Cervical Lymphadenitis

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HouseFull_O_Fur 
#1 ·
I have been wandering around on the internet looking for some answers.

Basically, the night before last I noticed one of my pigs had two small lumps (about the size of peas) under her chin. They have gotten bigger since then.

Cervical Lymphadenitis sounded the most likely and I am calling the vet to make an appointment today. My problem is I don't know what to do when I get there.

I want to have an idea of what I should do. I know cervical lymphadenitis is VERY infectious, airborn, and interspecies capable. This puts the other two pigs in harms way along with the 3 rats, and 4 dogs.

Does anyone know if the pigs carry it even after it is removed via surgery before it bursts? How long is recovery usually and how tough will it be on a pig who is 1 year old or less? Should I put her down to protect the others? Is there a pig rescue out there that I can contact, that will find a home for her that doesn't have any pets after I get her fixed up if she will continue to be a carrier?

She's a super sweet pig but I can't put EVERYone in my house in danger.

I'm so lost right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Oo, thank you! Very informative.

Now another question. My pigs have been eating timothy hay daily with orchard grass every now and then on the side as a change of taste.

Would the pigs be ok if their daily hay was orchard grass instead as it seems to be less likely to scrape mouths?

Also, has anyone dealt with this on this forum? I am curious how likely she is to have reoccuring issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.