Do Neutered Males Fight Over Females? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Do Neutered Males Fight Over Females?

Alright, so I have a question. I moved from my parents' house to a different state and left behind two sets of girl pigs (an old pair < 5 years and a younger pair > 1 year).

With my loneliness I bought three males and have dedicated my life to them. I love them to death (as you can see. My username is the nickname of my alpha pig). However, I received a call from my mom saying she was going to give the younger pair to a family down the street because she doesn't want them anymore. I was shocked, especially when I heard they had really small children >7 years. I know not all children are abusive, but they are curious and don't know the right way to handle animals (especially if the parents are ignorant themselves or don't care about what their children do).

We had rescued a pig from our other neighbor who had kids that age and the poor thing was starved, sitting in matted bedding that I had to scoop out with a hand shovel, and was terrified of hands.

So, naturally, I am going to take them in. However, I read somewhere that boars will kill each other over sows. I don't want my boys to be hurt! If I get them neutered will it stop them from fighting over the girls? The girls will be in their separate cage, and in the other room if the boars will still fight. I was curious if neutering them would make it easier and have a lower risk of them injuring each other.

Thanks for all of your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Rodentologist

In my experience, most boars won't fight over sows that are simply in the same room. Neutering them won't change their behavior towards each other. I foster male and female pigs in the same room and I very rarely have fights (and it's usually 'teenaged jerks').

If it were me, I would put their cages in the same room and observe them (and make sure one sex has a lid on the top so nobody can make midnight visits).

More by Jennicat
    Hey Guinea Pig People!
    Common Misconceptions About Guinea Pig Care
    Petsmart Animal Supplier Under Investigation for Cruelty

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

That's a relief to hear! I have never had males before so I bought a pig book for behaviors and it said they kill each other. Not very reliable book, apparently :/ But I'm glad to hear you haven't had any issues with it. My boys fight, but they're sub 6 months, so I'm assuming it's all dominance issues and teenage hormones.

So, do you ever have to wash your hands/change clothes after handling the girls? I'm assuming not since they are in the same room, but I figured I would ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Rodentologist

Twerpy teens will be twerpy. Since they're adolescents you may want to at least house them in a different room. Teen boys will fight over the color of the sky or who's got the biggest toenails.

I don't typically wash hands or change clothes unless I'm doing through with quarantine.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea I will definitely do that since they are so young.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I feel better knowing that I don't have to be obsessive about keeping them apart in sight and smell.