Fostering a piggy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Fostering a piggy

so i just picked up a foster piggy for a local humane society. they told me that they think she is pregnant well i did some research and she IS pg!!! but they dont know how far along she is. so i was wondering how to tell? she is extremly terrified and i want to help her as much as i can. do you have any suggstions? thanks you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...thats great you are fostering her.
I don't have any experience with pregnant pigs,but I do know as she gets bigger she will take on a pear shape.Hopefully someone else can give you more help.

More by VanillaRat
    New Rat
    My Boys
    Peas?
    Yay!!
    Benjamin & Hatchet
    What a scare!
    My Babies!
    My Boys!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Pigs take about 2 month to deliver like a dog would, at a certion time when the belly in really round the say you should not handel her or pick her up. If you have to move her use something she can climb in and move her or to get her out let her come to you ot clim on your lap if she wants.
Make shure she had lots of vit C they need vit C suppliments becuase they cant produce it on their own. Their is food that had it in their and giving her veggies and fruits that have vit C like and orange and carrots are good or tablets. Some dont like to use them.
Kail and timmathy hay is another thing. There is regualr hay to that you can get like at tracter supply were its kept inside out if the weather and made for rabbits and pigs. I have never used their hay though so I could not tell you how good it is. I dont get kale around here so I suppliment with veggies and fruits to help the with vit c and so far 2 wonderful litters.
I would have to see a pic of her to know about how far along, or you could take her to the vet. Some people say they have picked up pigs when prego seconds before delivery but I never have.
Also how old is she do you know? Pigs past a year or a year can have trouble delivering becuase of their hips fusing and they may have to have a C section. I would just make shure she is comffy till after the babies and dont worry about getting her cuddle till after she has them and then settles down from having them this way you can work with her and the babies better she may get stressed out to much know.
I know I left some things out so anyone elas please jump in. I am trying to think of all you need to know but I know that will over thining to try anf give you all I know and learned that I am leaving some stuff out.
YOu can give her old box or iglue to hide in to help her feel more safe and relaxed rigth now with her being prego and this could help her settle down to feel comffy around you. Talking to her and giveing her veggies by hand let her know you are friend could help to that way if you have to help her when they time comes she will trust you. I would say dont pick her up jsut let her come to you and siff you take a treat and do her own thing.
When taking her out to clean the cage use another boy or somthing you can lay on the side and herd her in the boxs and slowly life up and then repeat the oppisot to put her back.
I hope what little I could remember on not short notice but this early in the monrnign and to help prepare you incase the time is closer then yah think helps you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you sooo much for advice!!!!! i had a friend come out and look at her that has 4 litters of piggys and she thinks she is within a week a giving birth, .i have been watching her very closely and making sure she has plenty of fresh fruits and food and water. when i checked on her this morning she was just laying in her castle and i have never seen her just laying there lol The humane society was not sure on her age but they think around a year old. when i look at her belly, she is letting me touch her belly, i can see the babies moving around and can feeling i am pretty sure i felt 3!!!! if i can figure out how it post pics on here i will post some after the babies are born. Again thank you for all your wonderful and helpful advice!!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Rodentologist

If you can see them moving from across the room she's definitely quite close to giving birth. Handle her as little as possible, and make sure you're checking on her often. When we have pregnant pigs in the rescue, we try to check every 2-4 hours, because if there's a problem they need an emergency vet very fast or you don't have a chance to save them.

As for diet, make sure she's getting either alfalfa hay as a supplement, or alfalfa based pellets (for the extra calcium). Free feed her pellets until the babies are weaned since she'll be producing milk. Make sure she's getting a variety of fresh vegetables each day (primarily greens). Keep a very close eye on her, as guinea pigs are prone to "pregnancy toxemia" -- make sure she's getting plenty to eat and getting plenty of exercise. I typically move their water bottle to the opposite end of the pellet dish so they've got to move around plenty.

It's not unusual for guinea pigs to have still births, so be prepared. There should be very little blood (like less than a teaspoon). So if your sow starts spotting blood or bleeding a lot, she needs to get to the vet ASAP.

http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction_faq.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction_links.html

More by Jennicat
    Hey Guinea Pig People!
    Common Misconceptions About Guinea Pig Care
    Petsmart Animal Supplier Under Investigation for Cruelty

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

sorry it has taken so long to get back with everyone, i have been waiting for her to have her babies lol but she still hasnt had them. when i checked her this afternoon her tummy was hard so i am assuming it will be soon? but i will let you guys know when she does finally have them lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Rodentologist

When she gets within 2-3 weeks you'll be able to feel the babies actually moving and not just her stomach. The week before they're born you can sometimes hear them tooth chattering in utero.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

okay the babies arrived last night there is only 2 of them and mother and babies are doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! i am going to try to post pics but im not sure how to do it so if anyone can help that would be great!!! thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thats so exciting! Keep us updated on them

Tags
guinea pig