Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Guinea Pig Discussion

Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 AM

WilliamSultzer is on a distinguished road

Guinea pig bleeding!

Tuesday i noticed my female guinea pig had some blood on what i believe to be her vagina, she isnt making any crying noises while peeing and she peed on my girlfriends sister earlier today and left no blood, however a few hours later her vagina was bloody again and her foot is bloody, i can get her to the vet friday but what should i do in the meantime? I really dont want to lose her! =[
Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
is she possibly preggo?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
You need to get her to the vet ASAP. The most common causes of bleeding from the 'vent' area are urinary tract infections (painful) and bladder stones (very painful and often require surgical intervention). Occasionally they can bleed from burst ovarian cysts (more rare) or from pregnancy complications (more rare -- especially if she's not pregnant).

Make sure that she is hydrated and eating well. If she is not eating and drinking you'll need to forcefeed her and I can give you some links on websites that will help.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Shes not preggo, ill be taking her in tomorrow, roughly how much would an ultrasound be? Or antibiotics?

Shes been eating veggies a LOT, whenever i bring them up here for her she goes crazy on them (as does her sister) and as for drinking its not drinking a lot but it is drinking, im using pine shavings for bedding
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Dont use pine shavings- They have harmful phenols in them that can cause respitory, kidney, and liver problems. Aspen shavings or a paper based bedding are the best for them... No cedar either!

I hope your pigger is OK tomorrow!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Rodentologist

It really depends on the area you're in as to how much certain procedures cost. Big city vets are more because they have to pay more in rent, taxes, etc, than rural vets.

Typically with a pig peeing blood they'll want to do x-rays and then a urinalysis.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
How did the vet appointment go?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM

The vet took some stuck bedding off of her and gave me some medacine for her and the bleeding stopped but it just recently came back, im using aspen chips for her bedding temporarily which is what i was using during her last bleeding, could it be a cut from the aspen shavings? I dont have enough money to take her back just yet, we are getting fleece bedding very soon, she doesnt squeak when she pees! The vet said that she could just be going into heat.

Also the bleeding JUST started again yesterday when we were moving them around cleaning the cage and stuff and adding an addition onto the cage, is there a good chance she just got a little cut? How long would that take for the bleeding to stop?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Rodentologist

You need a new vet. Guinea pigs go into heat typically every 2 weeks and they don't bleed whenever they do.

It's not impossible that aspen cut her, but any cuts from bedding like that would be unlikely to produce a significant amount of blood (plus you would see an actual wound). What medicine did he give you and how long did you give it to her? Urinary tract infections can often take courses of antibiotics up to 4-5 weeks to fully clear up.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm not sure what he gave me but they were VERY small and they were kind of peach colored, i was supposed to give her 1/4 a pill 1 time a day crushed up and in .2 CC of water
Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Rodentologist

Did they look like this:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Baytril-prod10048.html

Also how many days did you give them?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:29 PM

sort of but they were not separated into fourths.

I have some pictures of how bad the bleeding is but i cannot post them yet!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Rodentologist

The pills you got were likely antibiotics although I can't comment as to how appropriate they are or whether they were dosed appropriately or long enough since I don't know any of that.

ETA: The pictures you sent me are not a minor bleed. That is not a small cut by her bedding. She needs to see a vet who has experience with guinea pigs.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM

If i were to buy a bottle of baytril would that help?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Rodentologist

Baytril is one of the antibiotics commonly given to guinea pigs, but you can't just go and buy a bottle -- it's prescription only, as are most antibiotics. It's also not something you should be giving without veterinary supervision as it can cause guinea pigs (like all antibiotics) to go into stasis and she may need supportive care.

Tags
bleed, blood, guinea, pig, vagina