Guinea Pig Weight Gain - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Guinea Pig Weight Gain

How much and how fast should my piggies be gaining weight? I weighed them both Monday and Squeakers weighed 17oz and Bugsy weighed 15oz. Today, Bugsy's weight was exactly the same but Squeakers gained about a half to 3/4 of an oz. Is that too fast or normal? Should I just watch the trend over a few weeks? I don't want to cause health problems from obesity later in life!! I have noticed that Squeakers eats a LOT more than Bugs, although Bugs does eat, just not constantly!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
is a little "special"

Well, they are still babies, right? Babies need eat alot and grow alot... I wouldnt worry about it for now. You cant really put them on a diet at this point anyway, since they should still be free feeding.
Just keep an eye on them, and make sure they eat tons of hay!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Playful Pup

My piggies always had a significant supply of food, I never restricted them from feed. I wouldn't worry about them too much, growing guinea pigs will gain weight at a faster pace too. just make sure you feed them good quality food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM
is a little "special"

After they are a year old, they should actually have restriced pellets... about 1/4 cup per pig (depending on their weight). Their diet should be mostly hay, so its important that they dont full up on pellets instead.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."