Hay Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hay Questions

I am currently feeding my guinea pig Zupreem Timothy Hay when I can find it in the pet stores. I have used Oxbow Orchard Hay, but I mixed it in with the Timothy Hay. I've heard that Meadow Hay is just as good as Timothy Hay. What are your opinions on Orchard and Meadow Hay for guinea pigs? Are there any hazards to feeding too much Orchard or Meadow Hay compared to Timothy Hay? I've also heard that there was Oat Hay. Is this meant for guinea pigs? I've heard that Alfalfa Hay can kill guinea pigs. What about the other kinds of hay that I have mentioned. Are they okay for guinea pigs, or should I just stick with Timothy Hay? There is also a hay made by Oxbow called Botanical Hay. It's more expensive, and I'm not sure whether it's even good for guinea pigs. Please let me know what you all think. Thank You,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Rodentologist

For adult pigs (over 1 year of age), a grass based hay should be the primary hay. This can be meadow, timothy, orchard, etc. You can feed orchard and meadow in place of timothy and give them unlimited amounts.

Oat hay is fairly coarse and I do tend to limit it, primarily because they eat less of it and you can't buy it in large amounts.

Alfalfa hay is fine for young pigs (under 1 year of age), but the calcium content makes it inappropriate for adult pigs, as it can cause they to develop bladder stones.

The botanical hay isn't dangerous for them, but as you saw it's pretty expensive, and it doesn't provide any benefits to them other than having the additional treats in it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
is a little "special"

My piggie loved orchard grass, bermuda grass, and oat hay. Any grass hay is great for them, and they love to have a variety. It's fun for them to forage through it all and find their favorites. As Jennicat said, alfalfa is really the only hay you shouldn't give them as adults.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the information. Can I just only use Orchard Hay, or is there something in Orchard Hay that I need to be aware of like too much calcium or something else?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM
is a little "special"

Orchard grass only would be fine too. A variety is always good though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
canis lupus familiaris

When I had hay eaters, they just LOVED bermuda. I actually had a chin that didn't care for Timothy that much while his partner loved it. Get what your piggies like and keep it mostly to grasses. Alfalfa is a good treat. I used to feed it on holidays just as a yum yum.