Hey, back with another situation for my guinea piglettes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey, back with another situation for my guinea piglettes

On the advice of someone at Pet Smart (others there refer to [s]her[/s] him as the expert there), I've always given the little ones filtered water. Recently though, the water filter broke, so now until getting a new one, I've resorted to purified water bought from the store. The question I have is this. Is it safe to give them tap water? Either temporarily or long term? If it's safe to give to them then I don't have to worry as much about trying to get another filter as urgently, but don't want to just say "forget it" and risk their health. After all, they depend on me to take care of them.

There's plenty of purified bottled water, so it's not like I have to go out and buy some right away. Just wondering if I'm being too paranoid or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

i always gave my piggies tap water if there wasn't any filters in the brita..never had any problems..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM
RAT ADDICT

When I had guinea pigs,I always gave them tap water and they were fine. The way I look at it is if tap water is safe for us to drink,then it is safe for the critters.

My rats get tap water now and have for years and are healthy and fine.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 AM
is a little "special"

My pets all get tap water, except for my frog and hermit crabs. They are fine!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replies. Is there anything that I should take into consideration for using filtered vs tap? Such as something that may be in the water in our area that wouldn't be good for the little piggies?

Just want to make sure I don't throw caution to the wind and end up poisoning them from being careless.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

Unless your area has warnings about having to boil the water before drinking,it should be fine. You could contact a mayor or someone "higher up" in your area and ask them if there is anything harmful in the tap water.

The tap water here is safe for humans,dogs and other animals to drink...so I don't worry.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I would check your city's water report to see how safe the water is.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Hunny Bunny

make sure to wash your bottles every now and then though or else a green film wll start to form were the cap is.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by urofan View Post
I would check your city's water report to see how safe the water is.
Is there anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumble Hedgie View Post
make sure to wash your bottles every now and then though or else a green film wll start to form were the cap is.
What I do periodically is to fill the bottle up with water and some bleach, let that sit a short while and then thoroughly rinse it out. Gets rid of the green and kills any other germs as well.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

Honestly I don't like the thought of putting bleach in my pets water bottles...

* Lisa *

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Honestly I don't like the thought of putting bleach in my pets water bottles...
I make sure to rinse it out thoroughly. Not just pouring that water out, but filling it some, shaking it, pouring that our and repeating a couple of more times. That way the bleach is all rinsed out.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Betta Bomb

Any kind of plastic will hold on to bleach better than you know. Ever get some on your hands? It feels slimy for a bit no matter how long you scrub. I would never use bleach on my pet's food dishes!!
If you want to disinfect the bottle, boil it for 5 minutes in a pot of water. Then scrub it. If I would suggest a better method? Try getting a stainless steel water bowl. I "borrowed" one from my sister nearly 5 years ago (sorry Lisa!!! ) and I still have it, just refills it twice a day in hot weather and wipes it with toilet paper every other day.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

I wash my water bottles and food dishes with soap and hot water and rinse well and wipe them with paper towels. I would personally never use bleach on food dishes/bottles.

I have used bleach diluted with water to clean cages sometimes,but afterwards I rinse well and then let them soak in hot water for an hour or so. But that is only sometimes. I still mostly use soap/really hot water and paper towels.

LOL Amanda! I totally forgot about that. You can keep it now,tis cool. I just went out and bought a couple new water bottles anyway because I lost the metal hangers on my old ones. So I don't really need it.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I always have a back-up water bottle in case the one in use stops working properly.

Something that concerns me is the vitamin c drops that you add to the water bottle. I think that the drops are dangerous, because of the possible build up of bacteria and other germs. It also effects the taste of the water. I use Oxbow vitamin C chewables instead.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by urofan View Post
Something that concerns me is the vitamin c drops that you add to the water bottle. I think that the drops are dangerous, because of the possible build up of bacteria and other germs.
I stopped doing that ever since my other topic.

Tags
guinea pigs