Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Guinea Pig Discussion

Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chrissy is on a distinguished road
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else's piggies but I thought I would post to find out. My piggie Bailey used to LOVE parsley. It was his absolute favorite food.. he would dodge everything else I gave him to get his fill of parsley Now he won't even touch the stuff! I put it in his cage and he eats everything but the parsley. I know nothing is wrong with him health wise, he is eating everything else fine, he has just seemed to change his mind about liking a certain food after eating it for over a year... now he just looks at me like I'm crazy when I offer it to him Has this happened to anything else? Anyone know why it would happen suddenly or does this just happen sometimes? The same thing happened with my other piggie Max with banana.. once a week I would give him a little (not too much though because I know it bungs them up) and he LOVED it but now he gives me a dirty look when I offer him some, shake his head and walk away. What's up with that? lol
Old 03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

Critterangels is on a distinguished road
That happened to me with Strawberries mostly. They used to love them! Then, they snubbed their little noses & didn't care anymore. It's best to rotate as much as possible. Skip a few weeks & try again. Did you buy a different type of parsley or get it from a different store? I notice my piggies like certain veggies from certain stores. Some are fresher than others. They know best!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We get it from the same store every week (all the other stores have a pretty crappy supply around here) He probably is just bored of it like you said.. it's just good to know that someone else had the same thing happen to them Those crazy pigs, picky picky! lol
Old 03-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Those picky piggies keeps things interesting! Mine never tire of endive, red leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce. I have to rotate everything else. Of course, I can't always give them endive because it's expensive. Still, it's always fun to watch them "discover" a new veggie or fruit!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wish Bailey would discover a new fruit or veg more often, LOL. I try and try, and he just sticks up his little nose at me. When we first got him it took MONTHS for him to eat carrots. I was putting half a carrot in his cage a couple times a week and he would never touch it. Eventually I had to grate it up for him and put it on a plate to see if he took interest.. it tooks a few unsuccessful weeks of doing this before he took a little nibble and now it's always the first thing gone in his cage I definately don't have to grate it up anymore, haha. My other piggie Max will eat almost anything I put in front of him... it's a nice change of pace, hehe. Oh yah, Bailey has decided he likes parsley again Silly pig.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

Too funny! Is Bailey eating parsley again because of Max? I think my piggies are eating more because of the competition. I can put a veggie in front of them & one will snub their little nose & then start eating furiously when another piggie starts chowing down! Lately, none of them are disliking anything! It also helps for them to see you enjoying the food - no kidding! My vet said that piggies learn what to eat from their Mom & that I'd have to teach them about different foods. If they see you eating it, they'll give it a try. Has anyone else heard that? Am I completely crazy?!?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Bailey and Max are now caged seperately because they wouldn't stop fighting a year ago but they do see and hear each other so it is quite possible he caught a glimpse of Max eating it! That's funny about them trying something if they see you eating it.. I don't think you're crazy! I've heard this before with other animals so I wouldn't doubt it for a minute if this is true for piggies. Maybe I should sit down with Max and loudly/enjoyably eat some banana and see if he eats it again, LOL! hmmmm.. but seriously now I think I'll go home and try it out with some other fruits/veggies they don't like and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted on if there was success or not!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

Why were they fighting? Did you have a female GP at the time? I've read that males will fight if there is a female present. How big was the cage? Did you have 2 of everything to avoid arguments? I have several water bottles, food dishes & houses to avoid any territorial issues.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh they just stopped getting along. I first had Bailey alone (last one left from his piggie family when we got him) then I got Max as a cagemate.. they got along great for weeks then they just wouldn't stop fighting. No female pigs around, I did all the proper cage intro's (meet in unfamiliar territory, bathe together, yada yada) they had 2 of everything, cage is definately big enough for 2 piggies.. it just didn't work out which I know happens sometimes. Now they're happy in their own places, and like I said earlier they still see/smell each other and get plenty of attention and floor time
Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

My biggest fear is that they'll stop getting along some day in the future. Space will be a problem if I ever have to separate them. I can do it, but they won't have the same sized cages.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Playful Pup

loripdlover is on a distinguished road

guinea pigs

Here a list of foods that you can give them. maybe something on this is new to you can you can try for variety.
Fresh Veggies

Select vegetables that are high in Vitamin C.

Do not feed too many fruits that are high in sugar

We feed our piggies on a regular basis:

bullet Romaine Lettuce
bullet Kale
bullet Carrots
bullet Spring Mix
bullet Celery
bullet Parsley and Cilantro
bullet Cantaloupe and Water Melon
bullet Tomatoes
bullet Cucumber
bullet Collard greens
bullet Green and red pepper
bullet Apple (as a treat)
Joey
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterangels
My biggest fear is that they'll stop getting along some day in the future. Space will be a problem if I ever have to separate them. I can do it, but they won't have the same sized cages.

In most cases I've read about or seen piggies usually are ok together if they bond or have been together for awhile. I'm sure you won't have any problems My 2 just had some dominence issues.. silly boys Space is an issue for us also.. definately not what I would like it to be but we had to do what we had to do in a short amount of time and we had to get used to it quickly
Old 03-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by loripdlover
Here a list of foods that you can give them. maybe something on this is new to you can you can try for variety.
Fresh Veggies

Select vegetables that are high in Vitamin C.

Do not feed too many fruits that are high in sugar

We feed our piggies on a regular basis:

bullet Romaine Lettuce
bullet Kale
bullet Carrots
bullet Spring Mix
bullet Celery
bullet Parsley and Cilantro
bullet Cantaloupe and Water Melon
bullet Tomatoes
bullet Cucumber
bullet Collard greens
bullet Green and red pepper
bullet Apple (as a treat)
Joey

Yep those are pretty much what we cycle through with our pigs also including a couple of others. I've just come to the conclusion that my boys just think they are royalty Thanks for the list, though! I don't think I've ever tried watermelon.. I must try that when summer comes!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

Olly & Ginger love watermelon. I'm not sure how good it is for them, so I don't give them a lot. I've never tried any other type of melon.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Max and Bailey are HUGE fans of cantelope. What's really funny though I will put a piece in each of their cages and Max eats the melon and doesn't touch much of the rind and Bailey eats the rind and doesn't touch much of the melon, LOL. I don't know either how much is bad for them so I don't give them much.

Tags
collard greens, food dishes, guinea pig, guinea pig rescue, romaine lettuce, timothy hay