Lice or Mites or Something Else? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Lice or Mites or Something Else?

This is my friend Nicole's Guinea Pig (Ponyo's Sister) and she's got some kind of issue going on, our vet is on vacation, but this is the pic she sent me this morning.
Any ideas, and should we wait the whole other week until our vet gets back, or find another vet ASAP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LiceorMites.jpg (59.8 KB, 12 views)

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Rodentologist

Ugh that's awful, he needs to get to the vet. From here it looks more fungal in nature, but with such a huge afflicted area like that we typically treat for all three since you'll tend to see them in constellation with each other once the initial problem gets that out of hand.

It's frustrating to see a pig with skin that bad since these issues often take weeks, if not months to progress to that point.

More by Jennicat
    Hey Guinea Pig People!
    Common Misconceptions About Guinea Pig Care
    Petsmart Animal Supplier Under Investigation for Cruelty

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Part of the Pack

Oh no that's horrible. It needs to see a vet really soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'll have her go to the other vet here in town, she's more expensive, but worth it. Thanks Jenn, the babies (Ponyo & his sister) were born November 17, 2010.
According to Nicole, her other Guinea Pigs are not affected, but having not seen them, I do not know for sure. Ponyo does not seem to have any issues, but since they were from the same litter, should I watch him as well?

~W.C. Fields
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Jenn, I called Dr Stanich, she can see Nicole's G-Pig tomorrow, but did recommend that she take her to a vet in Jamestown NY that deals mostly with exotics. I'll be taking her in, and then seeing if Starfish to the Sea Rescue can take her, since Nicole doesn't feel like she can financially support a sick pig, and I cannot take her because I have five un-neutered males living here, and don't want her to have to live alone.

~W.C. Fields
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Rodentologist

It's not typically an affliction that passes from littermate to littermate, although fungus, mites, and lice are all transmittable through touch. We generally treat everyone in a cage if someone has any of those.

I would encourage Nicole to think about surrendering the whole group -- skin conditions are literally the cheapest and most common affliction that guinea pigs will end up. If she can't afford to treat this, she's not going to be able to afford to treat any other illness.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We're back from the vet, Dr. Stanich said fungus, and that it can be treated with Vagisil (?). And to make sure to use gloves, and QT clothes when handling her/them. She did tell me that both should be treated, even though they do not live together. She also said to clean both cages thoroughly with a dilute bleach mixture. Even though she is not my "regular" vet, and her prices are higher, I actually like her a lot better than my own vet, so I may switch.
I'm still waiting to hear from Starfish. I think I may ask Nicole to see if they'll take both. Thank You so much Jenni!!

~W.C. Fields
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Rodentologist

He's true about OTC fungal creams, but this is complicated because it's around her eye (and difficult not to get cream in) and because it's so large. If even one molecule of fungus remains that you don't get the cream on, it'll flare back up. You may end up needing to do an oral antifungal, which is what we've had to do in the past.

Tags
guinea pigs lice